rs422 encoder shared with Mesa 7i96

More
18 Nov 2018 04:01 #120931 by blazini36
I'm trying to figure out the best way to share an existing "rs422" encoder with a mesa 7i96. The encoder is a Balluff magnetic linear encoder with a 6pin Din Connector. I'm a bit confused about the rs422 designation, I've read a few things that seem to infer that this is just a designation for a differential A/B encoder. I'm not sure if this will directly interface with the encoder input on the 7i96 or the the rs422 input.

I was thinking I can make a cable or a PCB that passively splits the encoder splits the signal but I don't want to degrade the integrity of the encoders original connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2018 13:06 - 18 Nov 2018 13:07 #120941 by PCW
The 7I96 has a differential encoder input and should connect directly to your encoder
_if_ it has a quadrature interface. If you are concerned about signal integrity you could use a encoder splitter like a Mesa ENCY.
6 Pins is not enough for a quadrature encoder that includes index and this suggests the encoder may not have a quadrature interface.

Bailuff makes absolute encoders with different interfaces so it could be SSI, BISS or some other encoder protocol...
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 13:07 by PCW.

More
18 Nov 2018 13:41 - 18 Nov 2018 13:45 #120943 by blazini36
Actually it’s most likely that it does not have an index. The application wouldn’t have any use for it. It is one of those special part numbers that was likely spec’d By the OEM for the non-standard DIN connector, so i’m Having trouble finding a data sheet at the moment. It’s basically a reader head that’s mounted with an air gap next to a magnetic ring that attaches to the end of a shaft.

Right now what I know is the pcb that the encoder originally plugs into is labeled “rs422” for that encoder section.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 13:45 by blazini36.

More
18 Nov 2018 13:45 #120944 by PCW
If you can access the encoder pins and rotate the shaft slowly, a LED with a series resistor is all thats needed to see if its quadrature.

More
18 Nov 2018 19:30 #120958 by blazini36
I was looking at the ENCY (docs aren't on the Mesa sites but I found it elsewhere) and it looks like a good solution once I figure out the pins/counts. What is the power consumption of the ENCY?

According to the doc the ENCY will take it's 5v from any of the encoder ports. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do that. The 6pin DIN that the encoder plugs into is an "encoder card" that's built into the machine control PC, So that is what typically supplies the 5v. If I were to turn off my LinuxCNC machine I need the encoder to still work as it originally did so I assume I should be powering the ENCY with the original 5v from the DIN? Is it the case that the 5v from the Mesa 7i96 could be supplied on it's output connector as a boost when it is on as well or would this be bad practice to supply 5v on both output connectors?

More
18 Nov 2018 19:41 #120959 by PCW
Its bad practice to connect both supplies together

I would just power the ENCY from the DIN connector

More
25 Nov 2018 18:51 #121332 by blazini36
Got ahold of the special datasheet, it is an AB differential encoder.

So the +5v and the gnd from the encoders original source will power the ENCY. AFAIK differential encoders don't need a ground reference for each channel but is it wise to tie the 7i96 gnd into it's output on the ENCY anyway?
Attachments:

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds