Mesa spindle encoder - do I need it?

More
09 Dec 2018 23:00 #122121 by MalteS
Dear all,

I'm in the process of converting a lathe to CNC. As I would still like to maintain the ability to use it "by hand" I'm considering replacing the hand wheels by encoders and adding glass-scales. The glass-scales are ideally also processed by linuxcnc to have one display only.
I'm now thinking how to interface:

- Two steppers (2x 3 out)
- Two glass-scales (2x 2in)
- End switches (2x in)
- Spindle encoder (2x in)
- Handwheel encoder (2x 2in)
- Spindle speed control (1x out)

Total^
6 out
12 in

with a PC. Mesa cards are an obvious choice. I thought I could go with 7I92 but I'm lost with the DB25 daughterboards. Some offer an spindle encoder interface. What is this good for?
I have a mill that also has spindle sensing and this is all wired up on the parallel port using GPIO pins.
Do I need this Mesa encoder interface for my application or can I go with the GPIO as well?

Thanks,
Malte

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2018 07:25 #122130 by MalteS
Replying myself to check my understanding:

So when using parallel port on my other machine the evaluation of my encoder inputs happens in base-tread. When using Mesa Cards I essentially offload anything that runs under "base-thread" to the card. So any HAL component I wish to use needs to be supported in hardware.
The other GPIO pins interface only with the "servo-thread" with a limited time resolution.

Is this correct understanding?

More
10 Dec 2018 10:07 #122131 by tommylight
Yes for the first part of offloading . As for the base thread you can still run it and use it for hal stuff in case you need something specific. The GPIO pins on the Mesa boards use servo thread, you can still use parallel port and run servo thread in the same config.
I have an industrial plasma cutter retrofitted with Mesa 6i25/7i77 for a client that also uses parallel port to control a stepper on the Z axis.

More
10 Dec 2018 12:46 #122136 by MalteS
Thanks. I think I understand. So I' need

Output
2x stepper (fast)
1x PWM out

Input
5x Encoder input (fast)
2x End switches (slow)

Which would require a 7I77 for the encoder inputs and a 7I78 for step/dir.

The other option would be to go for Machinekit with the BBB (but this is probably the wrong forum for this?)

BR,
Malte

More
10 Dec 2018 14:34 #122137 by tommylight
Why not the 5i25/7i76 or even better 7i76E with everything included ?
Also 7i96 is very nice for stepper stuff and has inputs for a high speed spindle encoder, at a very nice price.

More
10 Dec 2018 15:05 #122140 by PCW
If you need 5 high speed encoder inputs plus step/dir outputs,
it gets fairly expensive with Mesa hardware since there is no single card
solution (there is a single Ethernet card for this but its not supported yet)

You might be able to get away with a dual parallel port only setup if your
step rates and encoder resolutions * axis speeds are not too high.

More
10 Dec 2018 16:31 #122146 by MalteS
Yes that was also my assessment. This setup would be expensive to realize using Mesa.
I'm looking at the BeagleBone Black and MachineKit now which has own challenges to overcome (mainly around GUI)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds