Home/Limit Switches

More
17 Mar 2019 15:33 #128827 by Project_Hopeless
For a simple DIY cnc router build, and assuming the switch repeatability is there. With LinuxCNC and a 7i76e control board is it OK to use the travel limit switches as the Home switches?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2019 15:35 #128829 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Home/Limit Switches

For a simple DIY cnc router build, and assuming the switch repeatability is there. With LinuxCNC and a 7i76e control board is it OK to use the travel limit switches as the Home switches?

Yes, linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini-homing.html#_home_is_shared

More
17 Mar 2019 15:43 - 17 Mar 2019 15:45 #128831 by Leon82
Replied by Leon82 on topic Home/Limit Switches
Yes. You will need a home offset. I started at .2inch and narrowed in during tests.

Search is 30ipm and about 1.5for latch.

Then it jumps off the switch the offset amount and sets zero there.

You've got enough inputs on that board to use a switch for each. Home sequence can be zero for all and they would zero all at once.

If you share an input, set z to sequence zero and the rest increment by one so they will go one at a time
Last edit: 17 Mar 2019 15:45 by Leon82.

More
21 Mar 2019 06:45 #129139 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Home/Limit Switches
Because you have enough inputs, I'd recommend you use seperate limit switches at each end and a separate home switch. I Use a shared home/limit on my Z axis due to lack of space. Its the one that has given me the most grief....

More
21 Mar 2019 23:04 #129227 by Project_Hopeless

Because you have enough inputs, I'd recommend you use seperate limit switches at each end and a separate home switch. I Use a shared home/limit on my Z axis due to lack of space. Its the one that has given me the most grief....

If you hit an end of stroke limit can you in a programmed and controlled manor run past the limit to a home switch? Or is the limit hard wired to kill power?

My though is I could use the less expensive snap switches for stroke limit then just beyond those Home on a couple of pogo pins. That way I shouldn't overshoot and bend the pogo pin.

More
22 Mar 2019 02:08 #129239 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Home/Limit Switches
Some of the machines i made have a limit or probe switch ( microswitch ) set at the end of travel so if by any chance the machines drives past it, it will break the switch. Never happened, not in over 10 years did a switch break.
You have to set the machine properly, Linuxcnc will never fail to stop at the switch.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds