LinuxCNC with Argon from Granite Devices

More
06 Apr 2019 11:07 #130390 by JonathanHancock
Hi there

Has anyone had success using the Argon drive from Granite Devices with LinuxCNC. If so, what interface do you use between the computer and the Argon? It supports the following control methods:

Direct set-point tracking via pulse and direction, PWM, Analog, Quadrature, SimpleMotion V2 (RS485)
Pulse burst positioning
Buffered synchronous motion commands via SimpleMotion V2

Any thoughts on the Argon compared to the stmbl open-source drive (apart from the price)?

Thanks, Jonahan

granitedevices.com/digital-servo-drive-argon/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2019 11:56 #130392 by tecno
Ask the question directly to GD as they surely have all relevant information what and how to setup the Argon.

More
07 Apr 2019 09:22 #130434 by JonathanHancock

Ask the question directly to GD as they surely have all relevant information what and how to setup the Argon.

They have an article about in on their site, but it's pretty old. I'm wondering if anyone has done anything more recently with Argon and utilised the bi-direction data in a similar way to mesa's smart-serial. I'm fairly certain it can be done, but I'm after some feedback from someone that's actually achieved it to highlight any issues, good things about it, what to avoid etc.

granitedevices.com/wiki/Using_Argon_with_LinuxCNC

More
07 Apr 2019 14:05 #130442 by andypugh

Any thoughts on the Argon compared to the stmbl open-source drive (apart from the price)?

The main difference is that you can actually buy an Argon drive, and you can't currently buy an STMBL.

More
07 Apr 2019 23:24 #130454 by tommylight
I did use them on a retrofit a while ago, they do work nicely with Linuxcnc. I used Mesa 7i77 through a 7i92 with the added 7i74, 7i70 and 7i71 for more IO.

More
11 Apr 2019 20:53 #130693 by newbynobi
Andy, my last information about STMBL is, that theyare availible, but the new generation with a new chip type will need some more time.

Norbert

More
12 Apr 2019 16:57 #130737 by JonathanHancock
Thanks all. I have a single unit of both the Argon and the STMBL now to test. They seem pretty similar, although the Argon setup software is more 'GUI' based and therefore a little more user-friendly.

I'll keep investigating...

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds