Power Supply Recommendations

More
20 Apr 2019 00:08 #131261 by Project_Hopeless
For my hobby build CNC router I'm leaning towards a 7i96E card and will need 5Vdc power. I'll also need 12 or 24V power for an e-stop circuit to pull in a couple mechanical relays. And also power all the travel limits.

What would you recommend as a PSU dual or multi-voltage out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2019 00:36 #131263 by tommylight
Depends on what can you find:
5V can be used from computer USB, requires cutting and wiring and VERY careful not to reverse the polarity
5V can be used from second hand USB mobile phone chargers, use original 5V ones for Samsung or Iphone, again polarity
16 - 20V can be used from second hand Laptop chargers, again original ones, very nice and very stable
5V and 12V can be used from an old computer power supply, same power supply provides both and some more
Or get new ones, a 5V and a 24V should do nicely
I personally never use a 5V power supply, i just cut a USB cable and wire to the controlling computer. That has also the benefit of being at the same potential, so grounding is taken care of.

More
20 Apr 2019 08:33 #131282 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Power Supply Recommendations
Just get a 24 volt power supply. It does not have to be very big. (Mine is too big) If wired in correctly, 5 volt supply is not necessary on the 7i76e as it has its own on board 5 volt.
Also don't get a dual rail supply. I found you have to draw current on the 5 volt rail to get say 12 volt running and I have one here which has been useless. I added a power resistor on the 5 volt but it gets hot.

Then if running steppers a 48 volt supply would be perfect.

More
20 Apr 2019 08:59 #131284 by Mike_Eitel
In case you use additionall bob do not forget to supply the bob's electronic with 5 volt too. (needed for the driver chips on the board).
Next trap is that those boards use optocoupler with separated supply, mostly based on 12 to 24 volts.
P. S.
The 7i76e does not need any of the "separation" games the bob provides for simple LPT connection. In my eyes it is not good to add a bob behind such a good card, but I ran into it myself ;-)
Mike

More
20 Apr 2019 15:40 - 20 Apr 2019 15:40 #131315 by Project_Hopeless

I personally never use a 5V power supply, i just cut a USB cable and wire to the controlling computer. That has also the benefit of being at the same potential, so grounding is taken care of.

Part of my reasoning going with an eathernet based card is the PC is not teathered to the router location.

Depends on what can you find:
5V can be used from computer USB, requires cutting and wiring and VERY careful not to reverse the polarity
5V can be used from second hand USB mobile phone chargers, use original 5V ones for Samsung or Iphone, again polarity
16 - 20V can be used from second hand Laptop chargers, again original ones, very nice and very stable
5V and 12V can be used from an old computer power supply, same power supply provides both and some more
Or get new ones, a 5V and a 24V should do nicely

I found in the 7i96e manual the host supply max current is 250mA no external load. The external loads are expansion cards correct? Does the 250mA also included the current soucing all the step and direction outputs to the drivers cards?

If you have teenagers these days you're probably swimming in cast off phone chargers, I have a ton of them. So the power off those 0.5A, 1.5A USB wall warts is clean enough to power the board?
Last edit: 20 Apr 2019 15:40 by Project_Hopeless.

More
20 Apr 2019 16:01 #131318 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Power Supply Recommendations
5V wall warts are normally OK (check with a voltmeter first),
but beware of leakage from line voltage. I would not run
a non grounded switching supply like a cell phone charger
without grounding the 5V common to system/frame ground
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 May 2019 16:34 #132855 by Project_Hopeless
On the 7i96e can you use the same 5v supply to power the board and the mechanical limit/travel switches? Is 5v on twisted pair shielded wire for limits adequate or should I use 12/24v?

More
05 May 2019 16:45 #132856 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Power Supply Recommendations
You can use 5V for the 7I96 isolated inputs but you will have better noise immunity with 12V or 24V

More
05 May 2019 17:18 #132858 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Power Supply Recommendations
meanwell got a duo 5V 24V
if you want to get better performance you may need 36V for tb6560 or tb6600
then next is 48V for the real good woodrouter
HAVE a look at the electronics we use for Hobby CNC at Education school

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds