Error Loading, could not insert module

More
05 May 2019 19:15 - 05 May 2019 19:18 #132870 by OT-CNC
This is the 1st time my mill failed to load linuxcnc. I was getting the could not insert module message. I'm using mesa 5i25 and 7i77. The 7i77 led didn't go green so I assume no communication with the 5i25. I wiggled the cable and got it to start up then it dropped out during a run. I re-seated the 5i25 and everything seems okay. I did save the dmesg but don't have it to attach at the moment. Just took a photo of the error on the screen. Let me know if you guys think anything else is going on. Maybe my pc is on the way out???
I don't think it's the 5i25 causing the error but here is the lot number just in case; 14686L1
The dell I have has clips that hold the cards in. I replaced that with a screw. Maybe the previous mounting proved unreliable. I don't know what could cause enough movement to fault a communication. Also computer is clean no chips and grinding dust.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 May 2019 19:18 by OT-CNC. Reason: grammar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 21:46 #132876 by PCW
Usually this means that the 5I25 has a communication issue with the host
Often because of a PCI contact issue. If you have the complete dmesg I think
you will find that either the card was not found or that the "hm2 cookie" was not read correctly.

You might try removing the 5I25 from the PCI slot and cleaning both the 5I25 contacts and the PCI slot contacts (99% isopropyl alcohol is good for this)

You can clean the PCI slot with a bit of card stock cut to the size of the 5I25 edge connector.

More
05 May 2019 22:22 #132880 by OT-CNC
Good info. Thanks PCW. I also don't trust the locking tabs on that dell. The board seats okay but can rock sideways if no screw is used.
I probably should look into a backup PC and extra cards of yours just to have handy to do a quick swap when a machine craps out in the middle of job.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds