Mesa 7i92 Read Error

More
31 Jul 2019 14:05 #141008 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error
That actually sounds like a different type of error (bad KSZ8851?) Since the OP
had the same read error with a different 7I92 card. I Also ran his original card for 72 hours without a dropped packet and did tests at -51C(Freeze mist) and 100C without
issue which tend to rule out a marginal chip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2019 15:58 #141012 by Qenf
Replied by Qenf on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error
I thought all the boards were testing before shipping and the defective chip would be detected. I noticed that the error appears either immediately after the activation of the interface or after a sufficiently long time. There may be some incompatibility of interfaces.

More
31 Jul 2019 16:33 - 31 Jul 2019 16:39 #141014 by PCW
Yes, all cards are initialized and loopback tested over Ethernet but subtle problems
may be undetected (even by factory testing of the chips)

A good example of a similar issue is flash EEPROM chips, occasionally you get ones that
leak and forget their programming after a couple months, manufacturers do not test for
this flaw on a chip by chip basis and we see these every once in a while.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 16:39 by PCW.

More
16 Aug 2019 13:44 #142318 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

I was never sure where the communication problem came from - the specific computer I was using, the Linux installation and configuration, LinuxCNC itself, the hardware in the controller box, electromagnetic interference, power supplies, etc, etc.

With the help provided, I was finally able to track it down to the ethernet cable. Specifically, it was a short cable that ran between a panel mounted female RJ-45 to the 7i92 inside of the controller enclosure. I replaced the main ethernet cable with a shielded version a couple of years ago. I didn't replace the short cable, because it was very hard to get to, and many other cables had connectors that were too long to work, due to the enclosure layout. I was also thinking that I might be getting electromagnetic interference outside the metal enclosure, but that the inside cable was already shielded. This short cable had a sharp bend in it right at the 7i92 card. The bend must have resulted in a broken wire that was making a fairly good but not a great connection, and would fail after literally millions of reads over an extended period. That's what made it so hard to find.

I pulled the short cable out of the enclosure, but still included it in the middle of a string of three ethernet cables. It worked with no errors over a 24 hour period when it was not bent. I found that if I bent the cable right at the connection, I could cause the read error immediately.

I've ordered another short cable, but with a built-in 90 degree plug. I'm thinking this will permanently fix my problem.

Because of the extremely intermittent nature of the problem, it took several years and countless hours to find it. It is probably the hardest problem I've ever had to debug. On the good side, I now have extensive knowledge about LInux and LinuxCNC.

Many thanks to all who posted things to try over the years, and special thanks to PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
16 Aug 2019 14:03 #142319 by pl7i92
Replied by pl7i92 on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error
i did also face multiple times problems on the 7i92
that disapeard on realy good cable use not the cheep "china" stuff you can get for 1USD

real good cables from the next Telecomunication or TV-store
there are double shielded cat-6 out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethernet_cables

More
01 Jan 2024 14:50 #289473 by 10K
Replied by 10K on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error
Four years later, here's an update on where I am.
After replacing the short cable described above, I continued to get 7i92 read errors, usually, but not always, at very long intervals. It was mostly annoying, although when it happened during threading operations, it would cut a straight ring around my thread.

I spent a lot of time over the years trying to find the problem. I tried a lot of software fixes - changes to boot parameters, updated versions of Debian Linux, LinuxCNC and Gmoccapy, changes to the INI file - with no avail. Another area I was focused on was network adapters, and I tried multiple manufacturers. I also tried adding both large and small capacitors to my power supplies in case I was getting excessive ripple. Looking at the supplies with an oscilloscope didn't reveal much.

My last test was to try a second 7i92 connected to a wall wart power supply plus a new network patch cable in place of my CNC control unit. This completely removed any potential for problems in the CNC control unit.

To my surprise, I got no errors over long intervals! This was even with no Debian Grub boot parameters.

The good thing about this is that I could now focus on the CNC control unit and not any software issues. First, I used the original shielded network patch cable and the stand alone 7i92 to thoroughly check the cable. No errors. Then I added the short network panel mount cable inside the control box to the circuit. Errors! As described above, this shielded panel mount cable was a purchased to replace an unshielded panel mount cable I had trouble with before. I then ran the good patch cable directly to the CNC control box, and bypassed the short panel mount cable. Again, no errors!

It was another bad network patch cable that caused the problems. I have a network cable tester, and it tests OK. No broken wires. I flexed it while testing, and it was still OK.

I ordered a new panel mount cable from a different manufacturer. It came in a week ago, and I installed it. I just completed a 24 hour test, with no errors.

So the lesson here is that the Mesa 7i92 is very sensitive to network patch cables, even when they test OK on other devices. If you're getting read errors after very long intervals, the problem could be the patch cable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EraDim

More
01 Jan 2024 15:15 #289475 by PCW
I think it could also be that there is an intermittent connector issue.
We have never seen any cable sensitivity before.

More
01 Jan 2024 18:29 #289493 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mesa 7i92 Read Error

So the lesson here is that the Mesa 7i92 is very sensitive to network patch cables, even when they test OK on other devices. If you're getting read errors after very long intervals, the problem could be the patch cable.

Having used over 15 of 7i92 and at least 150 LAN cables to test and run those 15 of 7i92 and 7i96 and 7i76 and 7i95, i would strongly disagree with that statement.
The only instance when the cable caused issues was with a new out of the box cable that would connect-disconnect-connect again, from power on, not after any while, and that same cable did not work with any equipment, so i promptly threw it.
FYI, i had a 30 meter long LAN cable on my main machine, most of it wound as the PC was 3 meters away from the plasma cutting machine, still, never had issues with Mesa 7i92 running that machine. Considering that i intentionally made an inductive coil out of that cable while running a plasma cutter that is known to cause huge amounts of interference and had no issues, just proves how good Mesa boards are.
LAN cables can cause issues when crimped or stepped on or pulled by the cable, for sure, but all of those will show up all the time, not intermittently.
Intermittently only due to failing connectors, or not being plugged in properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EraDim

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds