Basic Mesa 7i76e Wiring Question

More
10 Feb 2021 15:38 #198283 by chuben

I use a 5v 4-channel low level relay module. They trip when the drives fault or are disabled. My PLC sends 24v to the common side of the fault relays once motion is enabled with a memory bit and a timed output. The bit resets when motion is disabled. You can use Classic Ladder for this. The logic is simple and I'd be happy to share it.

The relay outputs are tied to the "joint.n.amp-fault-in" pin for each axis.

I use the rising and falling edge of "motion-is-enabled" to trigger the 5v enable pulse or the 0v disable pulse.

When motion is enabled it fires a momentary 5v signal to the drives and it sets a memory bit.

The memory bit starts a timer that enables 24v to the common terminal on your fault relays at completion of the enable pulse. That allows the drives to enable before EMC2 senses voltage on the fault pins.

When "motion-is-enabled" changes to false, the falling edge triggers the momentary 0v disable signal and resets the memory bit.

In the event of a drive fault or encoder failure(G320X) all drives are disabled and the notification is on screen.

All three timers only need to be a second long.

You can use one output and relay for the enable pulse if you use diodes. The disable pulse needs one output to three relays to keep them isolated.

Hello, I want to use a Gecko 320x to control some DC servo motors from a candcnc Kit and I would like you to explain to me how I should connect them so that they work well. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2021 18:50 #198423 by andypugh

Hello, I want to use a Gecko 320x to control some DC servo motors from a candcnc Kit and I would like you to explain to me how I should connect them so that they work well. Thank you.

From a LinuxCNC configuration point of view setting up a step-dir servo looks exactly like setting up a stepper system.
So, just use pncconf as you would with a stepper.

More
11 Feb 2021 20:09 #198433 by rodw

From a LinuxCNC configuration point of view setting up a step-dir servo looks exactly like setting up a stepper system.
So, just use pncconf as you would with a stepper.

Its not configuring the step/dir which is an issue, its the very non standard method these drives use one pin for both enable input and error output with a 5V logic signal.

I do like PCW's approach to "split" the pins apart using a diode.

More
11 Feb 2021 21:18 #198445 by tommylight

Its not configuring the step/dir which is an issue, its the very non standard method these drives use one pin for both enable input and error output with a 5V logic signal.

No one mentioned that it does work without the error signalling so the OP got scared! :)
So to recap:
G320X will work with LinuxCNC for sure, with a simple config be it from parallel port (limited speed) or Mesa boards, as they only require step and dir signals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds