2nd parallel card or Mesa?

More
11 Jul 2019 01:17 #139041 by An
Hi everyone, a quick question. In general is it easier to set up a MESA or 2nd parallel card to achieve 5 axis or greater of motion? Im using G540 and seperate Gecko G203V. Happy to spend the extra money on the MESA if there's less chance of set up problems.

Thanks

Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2019 01:37 #139042 by tommylight
For you it is easier with parallel.
In general, depending on the mesa card, it is about the same for normal configs, with the added benefit of having more options with Mesa cards and much higher speed.
Parallel can do 20000 pulses per second if you have a very good computer ( not new or powerful, just good latency ), Mesa cards can do over 1000000 pulses per second and so not need low latency computers.

More
11 Jul 2019 04:31 #139056 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 2nd parallel card or Mesa?
You should follow this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3668...i76e-wiring-question
I've long since concluded the G540 is a pretty crappy design for use with an industrial controller so I'm with Tommy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 Jul 2019 10:04 #139093 by tommylight
The G540 had one poor design decision that makes it unusable for some use cases, not all.
The divider by 10 on a controller that works from parallel port that has limited capabilities in producing steps !
In most machines that use reduction and requre higher motor speeds, the error caused by the divider is not noticeable much, but the overall speed is limited a lot. Driving a 20tooth T2 pulley directly from the motor will show that error a lot.
Overall they are nice drive and the electronics inside are very good.
Had a G540 brought in for service as it had 220V put through one of the outputs and did a bit of smoke magic, it was still working properly, it is still working for over 5 years now, just the outputs did not work.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds