Released the magic smoke.. :(

More
06 Jan 2020 13:31 #154144 by snoozer77
Well l learned why its always best to read the manual first. Swapped out my 7i80hd with the 7i93 and didn't realize the polarity on the 5v power connector is reversed for that card (as stated in the manual!!). Fried CR8 on the board. Just wondering if its something that could be bought locally here in Oz. Also wondering if there is a reason the vertically mounted plug couldn't have been turned around to match the polarity of the other mesa cards?? Definately my own stupid fault, just wondering. Its also pretty clear on the silk screen. Anyway, lesson learned... wont do that again. Any info on cr8 would be great. I know its not a super pricey card, but if i could repair it here myself, that would be handy.

Thanks

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2020 14:19 #154145 by billykid
it is probably a protection diode and removing it and applying correct power should work everything .. always if the diode has done its duty. anyway hear Pcw first :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snoozer77

More
06 Jan 2020 14:46 #154147 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Released the magic smoke.. :(
Yes, its a reverse polarity protection diode. so as long as it shorted and didn't go open , you can just remove it (or replace with almost any diode)
The following user(s) said Thank You: snoozer77

More
06 Jan 2020 19:41 #154168 by snoozer77
Thanks guys. It did short. I removed it after checking. Will replace it just incase I have another brain fade in the future..

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds