please help!confused mesa card and daughter boards

More
15 Mar 2020 06:55 #160257 by hisuiibmpower4
Hi this is my 1st post here.I want to build 3 axis milling machine use linuxcnc as controller with ungrade capable to 4-5 axis.
All axis require double close loop control using servo+linear encoder.Which mesa card shall I choose?
I'm also confused with daughter boards.I can understand you need to flash fpga before you can use them but what about daughter boards?Like daughter boards for 7I92M there are several types of them each has different sets of IO each has it;s own firmware,how can I flash daughter boards?I can't find much information about how to flash them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2020 07:06 #160258 by BeagleBrainz
Generally the daughter cards don't require flashing, the FPGA cards are the ones that need flashing with the firmware required.
JT has some great diagrams here which may help selecting the right card.
Ethernet
mesaus.com/ethernet-cnc-solutions/

PCI\PCIe
mesaus.com/pci-and-pcie-solutions/

More
15 Mar 2020 09:14 #160268 by hisuiibmpower4
thanks for ur replay,but seems that page don't provide much infor regard encoder input support.Im still confused with daughter card since different card has different io pin config,when u flash the fpga card those difference in io should be taken into account,am I right?

More
15 Mar 2020 09:26 #160270 by rodw
I thought that if you have 0-10volt analog servo controllers you would use a 7i77 which handles 5 axis with encoder inputs. but I have no experience.

More
15 Mar 2020 09:43 - 15 Mar 2020 09:48 #160271 by BeagleBrainz

thanks for ur replay,but seems that page don't provide much infor regard encoder input support.Im still confused with daughter card since different card has different io pin config,when u flash the fpga card those difference in io should be taken into account,am I right?

Clicking on the links on JT's page takes you to the product page and on the product page is a link to the manual. Everything you need to know about a particular card is in the manuals. I haven't seen any literature regarding reflashing the FPGA changing the input voltage characteristics of the daughter cards.

Here is the Mesa official page for the 7i77
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=120

You can download the manual if you need extra info.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 09:48 by BeagleBrainz.

More
15 Mar 2020 11:33 #160285 by tommylight
There are plenty of possibilities and choices, we would need more info about what exactly you need to be able to pinpoint what you would need.
You mention dual feedback, but do not mention if the servo motor encoder will be also used as a feedback device to Linuxcnc, besides linear scales. Linuxcnc can use dual feedback devices so either way it will work, but if you are using new servo drives, they usually use step/dir control inputs and have no feedback to Linuxcnc.
Personally, i tend to use analogue control whenever possible, so i mostly use the 5i25/6i25/7i92 with 7i77, and add other cards as needed.
If you go the 7i92 route, chose the 7i92M version, it can be attached directly to 7i77 or 7i76 so there is no need for a cable.
If you plan on using the servos as step/dir with their own loop closed in the drive and additionally use linear scales, have a look at 7i92 with a 7i77 and a 7i85, or just the 7i76E and 7i85. That should simplify the wiring and setup.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds