BoB for Plasma Table, steppers, THC

More
06 Apr 2020 04:31 #162847 by KaleD
I'm planning out a plasma build and I need some advice. I want to have internal THC but I'm unsure what hardware is necessary to achieve this. has anyone had luck with a controller like this? for $8 is this a too good to be true kinda thing?
www.amazon.ca/Interface-Opto-couplers-Is...86126270&sr=8-3&th=1

My current setup is NEMA 17s with a Rambo board. I'm feeling the limitations of the Rambo and Marlin firmware. I need THC. Hence the upgrade to Linux CNC. I'm happy with the NEMA 17s but I'm wondering if the BoB I have selected can be used with NEMA 17 drivers. Can the same BoB be used for bigger stepper drivers if ever choose to upgrade (NEMA 23s? Bigger?)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2020 06:44 #162853 by bbsr_5a
hi
the low cost board is not that bad
but on internal thc it will get you external cost
with a UP/DOWN thc it will work with that bob
the costs are higher then actuly goiing for a 7i96 MESA that can have a better outcome and a mutch easyser expand
Nema17 on plasma is not that best choce
use Nema24 at 4Nm to drive real quick and 48V Supply

there are low cost kits to fit your need
The following user(s) said Thank You: KaleD

More
06 Apr 2020 08:08 #162868 by jay1st
MESA 7i96 with a THCAD is a way better choice, it's expandable, has great support here and in LinuxCNC and not that expensive.

What 3d printer did you strip to have those parts ? :)

More
06 Apr 2020 22:03 #162975 by KaleD
Lol, they are 3d printer parts. It's actually pretty impressive considering what goes into a MPCNC. Check them out if you haven't seen them before.

Anyways, can a THCAD be used with the cheap BoB? I read through the THCAD manual and I don't quite understand how it connects to the BoB and computer. Does the THCAD send out steps and dir? Or does it send out values to be interpreted in LinuxCNC? Do the parallel port pins send voltage to the computer?

Is the MESA 7i96 only ethernet? It looks like it has a PCI expansion. I was under the understanding that PCI was best. I thought I read that ethernet and USB are too slow. Is there a version with built-in PCI?

More
06 Apr 2020 23:50 #162984 by rodw
Mesa has the 5i25 and 6i25 PCI and PCIe cards. These then are connected to the mesa board of your choice.
Some of us are using small PC's with no PCI expansion bus.

Once installed ethernet and PCI for Mesa make no difference. Usually we run a 1 mHz servo thread in LinuxCNC so things only happen 1000 times a second. In between, the Mesa Hardware stepgens are still doing their job and Linuxcnc tells them to change frequency 1000 times a second if required.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of external stepper drivers.

More
07 Apr 2020 05:35 #163020 by phillc54

Anyways, can a THCAD be used with the cheap BoB?

Yes it can providing that the optos are fast enough and the latency of the machine is reasonable.
The THCAD outputs a frequency that can be connected to an encoder which outputs a velocity that can be converted to a voltage level.
You would probably run the THCAD at 1/64 or 1/128 rather than the normal 1/32. Again this depends on the optos and the latency.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/encoder.9.html

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds