Power supply selection for stepper based config

More
15 Apr 2020 20:38 - 15 Apr 2020 20:40 #164083 by alkabal
Hi

Can you help for choose the good power supply, i'm unfortunately really unsure and i like to select the most appropriate option for a correct price.

This is for a little mill Meccanica Cortini L300 retrofit with :
3x nema 34SSM9460-EC1000 121 mm 7.5nm 6A closed loop
3x hsb86h (not delivered) 20-63VAC or 30-90VDC
original screw without ball (like to be replaced but i'im really affraid fro manufacturer selection and or price)

Planned a 4th axis with similar motor
Liked a ATC stepper based

Well i have some difficulty for decision,
it is better to have all separated supply ?
one for all ?
one for XYZ stepper but another for additional stepper ?

I think this is better to use toroidal transformer + diode bridge + capa V/S chinese regulated power supply.

Br
Last edit: 15 Apr 2020 20:40 by alkabal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2020 23:44 #164095 by tommylight
If you use a toroidal transformer there is no need for rectifiers and capacitors, they are built into the drives, as stated by the 20-63VAC.
If you go the SMPS way, i would not go over 60VDC for those drives, and anything above 15A should be more than enough even when you add the 4'th axis.

More
16 Apr 2020 00:27 #164100 by BeagleBrainz
If you go for a SMPS don't go for the cheap Chinese devices.
Go for a name brand one, such as Meanwell (I'm not pushing this particular brand), I use multiple ones in my system, one 48v for steppers and one 12v & 2 5v for field & logic, never had an issue, even in the height of an Aussie summer. With a name brand device you can be assured it has gone thru the approvals for your country. The Chinese ones have been know to rely on the importer to arrange for the approvals....which many ebay sellers don't bother with.

Yeah I know others will disagree, but I've worked around power & electronics long enough not to take shortcuts.

Oh and don't take electrical advice from randoms on the internet. That even includes myself.

More
16 Apr 2020 02:13 - 16 Apr 2020 02:18 #164102 by alkabal
Hi
many thanks for both reply

@ tommylight

you are right i have missed these driver accept alternative power one good point for save space inside box !

I have calculated something like 20A is perfect with something like 48v for toroidal so i'm happy for your confirmation.

at comparable price it is better to have 4x5A or 1x20A ?

@ BeagleBrainz

Good to know you are happy with branded SMPS, i don't really know why but i like more the toroidal solution mostly regarding to fiability vs cheap SMPS. (but i will check for branded unit)
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 02:18 by alkabal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Apr 2020 02:50 #164105 by BeagleBrainz
Linear maybe a better solution in your case 20A would do for all 4 axis

www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-ba...r-supply-basics.html

More
16 Apr 2020 09:39 #164125 by tommylight

The Chinese ones have been know to rely on the importer to arrange for the approvals....which many ebay sellers don't bother with.

Yeah I know others will disagree, but I've worked around power & electronics long enough not to take shortcuts.

Did some tests a while back for one of the big importers here on those Chinese SMPS power supplies, the results were pitiful, most of them could do around 30 to 40% of the rated power before they would heat up way to much to be reliable, and they skimp on filtering parts a lot. Only one manufacturer had consistently sustained over 60% of rated power without issues, i can look for the brand name, but they do not sell on eBay or aliexpress.
Keep in mind, all those were 12V supplies for driving LED strips, 200 and 400W rated.

More
16 Apr 2020 10:07 #164128 by rodw
[quote="tommylight" post=164125 Only one manufacturer had consistently sustained over 60% of rated power without issues, i can look for the brand name, but they do not sell on eBay or aliexpress.
[/quote]

Whats this? A Pork chop ?

www.aliexpress.com/item/32951223637.html...02_,searchweb201603_

350 W granted I know

More
16 Apr 2020 11:54 #164132 by tommylight

Whats this? A Pork chop ?

?????????
i tested 5 manufacturers, they are all new and have nothing on ebay or any other site.

More
16 Apr 2020 15:09 #164152 by alkabal

More
16 Apr 2020 15:16 #164153 by tommylight
The mouser one is cheaper and much heavier ??? Strange.
Get one with a single output.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds