Mesa card suggestion

More
21 Apr 2020 17:43 #164986 by nicber
Mesa card suggestion was created by nicber
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and new to linuxcnc. I would like to switch over from Mach3. I need an advice.
I've got a 4 axis machine with 2 motors on the Y. I would like to be able to install two encoders to be sure that everything is square. I also need a 0-10V analog output for the spindle reference. Which mesa card (preferably ethernet) should I get? I was thinking a 7i95, but from what I've understood it lacks analog output, or a 7i76E + 7i85s.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2020 18:01 - 21 Apr 2020 18:03 #164989 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Mesa card suggestion
7i76E has everything.
What do you mean by adding encoders ?
Is this a stepper or a servo system ?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 18:03 by tommylight. Reason: added more info

More
21 Apr 2020 19:30 #164998 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa card suggestion
Set up correctly with a 7i76e and seperate home switches for each side of the Y axis running V 2.8 or above, the gantry is squared on homing. Fine adjustment to alignment when building your machine is achieved with the HOME_OFFSETs in your ini file. I'm not seeing the encoders would add value because like Tommy says the 7i76e has everything.

More
21 Apr 2020 19:33 - 21 Apr 2020 19:36 #164999 by nicber
Replied by nicber on topic Mesa card suggestion
Thanks for your fast replys and advices.
The motors I have are closed loop steppers. I would like to add one additional encoder on the ballscrew for each one of the Y's ballscrews. So I would be sure that everything is moving correctly. But as you say it could make no benefit, so Im going to start with this card and move on from there.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 19:36 by nicber.

More
21 Apr 2020 19:39 #165000 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Mesa card suggestion
Yes, thats correct. I think the 7i85s would provide the encoder inputs. Do your motor drives have an input for the encoders?

More
21 Apr 2020 19:59 #165001 by nicber
Replied by nicber on topic Mesa card suggestion
Yes, my drives have the encoder of the motor connected, but there's no way, or al least I'don't know one, to have any control on what the drive is doing. But as you pointed out I don't know if it is worth the effort and money putting additional encoders on the ballscrews.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds