Best Ethernet Based Board in 2020

More
06 Jun 2020 01:24 #170307 by EverydayDiesel
Thank you for the replies

I plan on using these power supplies
www.teknic.com/products/servo-motor-dc-power-supply/

One of these motors (they have an API :D)
Will these SC (software control) line of the teknic work with linuxcnc?

www.teknic.com/clearpath-accessories-guide/

will the 7i76e workr with these motors with the built in controllers or is there another option to look at?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2020 01:28 - 06 Jun 2020 01:36 #170308 by EverydayDiesel
I am thinking

computer --> 7i76e --> SC4-HUB --> servos (with built in controller) [of course also connected to power supply]

Communication Hub for ClearPath-SC Series
Part Number: SC4-HUB
Input: 15-30 volts
Connectors: See drawing
Dimensions, in (mm): 3.56 x 5.31 (90.4 x 134.9)
Certifications: UL, CE (pending)
www.teknic.com/images/sc_hub_lightbox_drawing_3.jpg

EDIT: Maybe i dont need the SC4-HUB at all and the new data flow can be
computer --> 7i76e --> servos (with built in controller)

I can buy these cables to connect the motor to the 7i76e
Controller Cable, 10 ft
Part Number: CPM-CABLE-CTRL-MU120
Connectors: 8-pin Molex Mini-fit to 8-pin Molex Mini-fit (one connector is overmolded)
Length: 3.05 m (10 ft)

This cable connects your digital control signals (from switches, buttons, PLCs, etc.) to your ClearPath motor. The overmolded Molex connector connects to the motor (which allows an IP-65 sealed connection when used with dielectric grease), and the other end can be plugged into a breakout board (or for ClearPath-SC, the SC communication hub), or cut off to create flying leads to allow you to wire into any control device you may use.

www.teknic.com/images/accessories/329_lg.jpg
Last edit: 06 Jun 2020 01:36 by EverydayDiesel.

More
06 Jun 2020 02:21 #170309 by rodw
NO for CNC you need to use their SD (step and direction) drives so they can be controlled by Linuxcnc (or other similar systems.

Those are designed for industrial use, convyers etc.

More
06 Jun 2020 02:56 #170311 by EverydayDiesel
Other then switching to the SD drives, does everything else look ok?

More
06 Jun 2020 04:46 #170312 by Nitram
I used a 7i76e on a lathe build.
The attached pdf helped immensely.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozcnc, deanforbes, EverydayDiesel

More
08 Jun 2020 22:51 - 08 Jun 2020 22:51 #170719 by EverydayDiesel

NO for CNC you need to use their SD (step and direction) drives so they can be controlled by Linuxcnc (or other similar systems.

Those are designed for industrial use, convyers etc.

You were right. I reached out to the company with several questions and this was the response...

I'm an applications engineer with Teknic. I was recently forwarded your contact request regarding the differences between the SC and SD ClearPath servo motors.

In short - you can use SC motors to take in step and direction, but I wouldn't recommend it. The MES 717rE should be a pretty good fit (I have seen customers use it in the past, and LinuxCNC is a good choice for the CNC control software.

That being said, if you are looking for the motor drive to interface with step and direction signals (generated by the G-code), it's best to use a CNC software that is configured to accept the signals CNC controllers generally output. Creating your own trajectory generator that interfaces with G-code is a non-trivial task, although it is possible to do so.

Essentially, the SD motors come configured to work in CNC applications with little programming (other than configuration) with the motors themselves. They simple wire to a controller and breakout-board. The SC motors can take in step and direction commands, but you would need to program the operational mode completely from scratch. With that, you would also need to setup a host PC (single board computer) that interfaces with serial communication in order to input the step and direction signals into the motor inputs.

Last edit: 08 Jun 2020 22:51 by EverydayDiesel.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds