Basic TTL level serial and 7i76e for remote display/keyboard

More
24 Jun 2020 14:40 #172595 by drmclem
Hi

I'm porting an older controller system over tp a new setup - now using the 7i76e card. I have 4 steppers,and various IO.
To complete the setup I need a 5V PWM and an serial interface at TTL levels to drive the remote LCD display (ideally with recieve as there is also a keyboard attached).

I am trying to minimise cables to the computer (ideally only the one ethernet cable) - so wonderd if there was any advice on the best route to take.

I can build my own bitfiles - but looking through the posts there seem to be several options - PktUART, UART, BSSI and sserial - with some corresponding hal components.

Any advice before I dive in ?

Matthew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2020 17:35 #172602 by PCW
Are you building the remote interface or is it an existing device?
If you are building it, SSerial might be an option
If its an exiting device I would use a PktUART

More
24 Jun 2020 18:04 - 24 Jun 2020 18:06 #172605 by drmclem
Hi

Its an existing remote lcd display on the milling pedestal and keyboard, although I built it. It's got an arduino in it which could be replaced but the component all use ttl basic 3 wire serial.

The demo comp for the pktuart seemed to only have recieve. Is tx/rx possible?

Regards

Matthew
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 18:06 by drmclem.

More
09 Jul 2020 10:40 #174080 by drmclem
Hi

So I've got my serial display working with teh 7i76e and pkuart -
Two questions if anyone can help ---
I keep getting SCFFIFO errors on transmission, I'm checking the bit for tx busy before I send data but that doesn't seem to help - are there any pointers as to what this error means
Secondly
With the pktuart module, the status Leds on the 7i76e boards now form a "running light display" when active - I was hoping to use these for front panel status - is this a feature of the pkuart module ?

Finally - anyone interested in code - would it be a useful addition ?
At the moment it works by defining preset screens (selectable from a pin) and the screen defines a series of values (read from float pins) and screen locations and formats. Everything is updated lazly to minimise packet transport..
Attachments:

More
09 Jul 2020 13:27 - 09 Jul 2020 13:27 #174089 by PCW
Unfortunately a change in 7I76E the status LEDs suggests that the PKTUART
code is not queueing its communications (merging its I/O requests with the per
servo thread read/write functions) but rather adding additional Ethernet access packets.

Getting SCFIFO errors means that a send frame (a packet) has been pushed when
there are already 16 frames waiting. I would debug this by monitoring the frame count
Last edit: 09 Jul 2020 13:27 by PCW.

More
09 Jul 2020 15:53 #174100 by drmclem
Hi

Thanks for the advice - I'll look at this - the leds seem to be counting in binary ...

Matthew

More
09 Jul 2020 16:24 #174106 by PCW
They do count in binary (the default is to count received packets) so this is normally a blur
at 1 KHz (2000 received packets per second)

More
18 Aug 2020 19:32 #178621 by drmclem
Got everything working - see forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3971...stom-firmware#177499 with a short video.

My new hal driver allows the creation screen templates wich can display up to 5 floating point values (at the momenT) in a way that minimises serial data transport. Can post more details if people are interested.

Thanks for all yo ur help.

Matthew

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds