Driver Elmo Harmonica and get a new board.

More
02 Jul 2020 13:02 #173411 by Jocman
Hi all.
I got new motors and new drivers for my DIY CNC: APM-SB02ADK-9 and Elmo Harmonica HAR-8/60C-3 (www.elmomc.com/product/harmonica/).
Rodw suggested me to ask this section about how to wire the new stuff and even to ask for a new board to get.
By now, my current BOB is a standard (cheap) chinese board.
As it work with Step/Dir, initially I was oriented to wire the step/dir wires to J7 connector (Analog input); but considering the suggestion of Rodw (related to the Harmonica manual, pages 44-45), it seems step/dir have to be wired to J2 connector.
Is this correct?

Concerning the new board, initially I was thinking about get a Mesa Plug-N-Go Kit 5i25+7i76, but I'm also thinking about a 7i76E.

Considering the new stuff (drivers and motors) and the price of the mesa boards (more or less the same), it will be better the parallel or the ethernet version?
Or someone has other suggestion about the board?

Thank in advance

Andrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 13:40 #173414 by tommylight
Just spent 20 minutes running through that PDF, and nowhere in it does it say it can use step/dir control signals, but it does say it has programmable digital inputs, so maybe it does work with step/dir.
BTW step and dir signal are digital, so they can not be connected to analogue inputs on the drive.
It also says it has analogue inputs, but it does not say they are the standard +-10V analogue inputs.
If it does work with step/dir , they should be on J5 connector but it is not mentioned anywhere so they might be used for limits, but under the auxiliary feedback on J2 it does say you can select step and dir signals for commands as D for single ended and E for differential signals. That makes even bigger mess as under it it says that J2 are outputs, not inputs! No more info available so can not say what pin goes where.
Anyway you look at it, that manual causes more confusion than it is worth, so you will have to use their software and take screenshots of everything and post here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jocman

More
03 Jul 2020 08:58 #173496 by Jocman
First of all, thank you for the time you spent.
Well, indeed I agree that the manual is really messy; to me for sure, but if even you are confused, this is very significant.
I the next weekend I'll go running the software and taking some shots to post here.
Last chance after that, i suppose, will be to ask directly Elmo support (if they will answer...)

More
03 Jul 2020 13:05 - 24 Jul 2020 13:56 #173516 by tommylight

.........so you will have to use their software and take screenshots of everything and post here.

That might be very helpful or cause even more confusion ! :)
Last edit: 24 Jul 2020 13:56 by tommylight. Reason: typo

More
03 Jul 2020 18:05 #173534 by Jocman
Uhmmmm,first problem: the rj45 plug is for Rs232 standard,not for ethernet comm.... I have no rj45 serial cable,so unfortunately before monday i wouldn't get one....
By the way,reading the software manual,i think i'll have to take a loooot of screenshots,as the software requires many steps to configure the driver.....
Well,i'll see on monday.....

More
07 Jul 2020 15:56 #173856 by Jocman
Well, after 3 days of trying, honestly I think i'll give up.....
no way to let the servo communicate with the pc, the RS232 seems not responding at all, I tried all the combination of COM#/speed, but nothing to do.
I tried even writing to Elmo Company, but the US offices doesn't answer (I wrote them past week), and the Italian office told me "We are just administrative office, no tech support capability, but here you find the documentation" (thankyou, but I already own the doc, and more updated than yours....)

If you don't have any further suggestion, I think the next step will be to try to sell the servos and get new ones from ather company......

More
24 Jul 2020 13:23 #175633 by Jocman
I gave some other chances to Elmo drivers.
Changed 3 serial boards, several cables and tried with all the possible setup combinations (#COM/speed/etc). After almost 15 days of traying (test - waiting for the various boards to come - my soulmate "permissions"... - etc) eventually I decided I made all in my knowledges (and possibilities) .
So, packed the Elmo, I ordered the Mesa 7i76E card and 3 new hybrid drivers (with their own steppers).
Hopefully next week I'll get the stuff and begin once again.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds