Please help! I destroyed a 7i77...

More
07 Jul 2020 16:52 #173868 by Henk
Hi.
I damaged my 7i77-7i92 setup by powering it with external 5v and incorrect jumper settings on the cable power jumper in the 77. Basically the external 5v fed back to the 7i92 and it short circuited

Both jumpers started smoking immediately.....and I cut all power.

After correcting the unfortunate mistake, I now get a undervoltage error after lcnc loads. I can still see all the 7i77 pins in hal config, but it doesn't work...

I swapped the 77with another and it is ok, so it seems that the 7i92 survived

Is this fixable or am I signing a cheque for a new 7i77? Sending it back to Mesa from South Africa is not an option because postal service is nonexistent here and express courier would be more than a new one.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2020 22:39 #173934 by PCW
Not actually sure how what you did would cause a low voltage error
since that refers to the field power. You might check that field
power is OK.

More
08 Jul 2020 03:27 #173951 by Henk
Hi PCW
Strange, I checked field power and it was ok.

If I understand the circuit correct the jumper on the 77 just switches the 5v supply from the db25 port to the plug in terminal? So if this is a direct connection, no other components should get damaged?

Also, if all the 7i77 pins show up after lcnc loads, it seems that there is some hope?

More
08 Jul 2020 14:38 #173984 by Henk
Ok, so it turns out the 7i77 is ok. I connected it again and got the same undervoltage error. Then I cleaned the carbon off the burnt jumper pins and tried again. Works now without problems
Henk

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds