USB-LPT interface for LinuxCNC

More
15 Aug 2020 14:16 #178283 by machmaker
Hi everyone.
I have built a USB-LPT adapter dedicated to use with LinuxCNC.

If you are interested, I invite you to read:
machmaker.pl/index.php?p=1_13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:34 #178285 by Cerna
Yeah, I have seen it on Youtube couple of days ago. I have also seen that you published the patched source code on your website. But so far I have not had the time to study it in any depth.

Could you give the top-down run on how you are solving the USB2 specific latencies when running the real-time software loop?

Thanks.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:41 #178287 by tommylight
Very nice but way to expensive at 67.33$, that is Mesa territory as 7i92 is 89$ and comes with two parallel ports that can do much more.
I was really hoping it would be in the 30 to 45$ range as that would justify buying it.
But if i look from the other side, for someone who already has a machine set up for parallel port that is a very reasonable price as it would save them the effort of changing to other controller.
Thank you.

More
15 Aug 2020 18:59 #178312 by machmaker
The device uses buffering, which allows you to eliminate delays associated with the fact that USB access is not in real time. The use of buffering has a disadvantage - reading the inputs does not occur at the same time as controlling the outputs. Therefore, it is impossible to use certain commands with this device, where the state of outputs at a given moment depends exactly on the state of inputs at that moment. However, in many LinuxCNC applications, this feature does not bother at all, for example in the construction of simple CNC plotters / milling machines, laser engraving machines or plasma cutters.
Buffering also has advantages - it reduces jitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
16 Jan 2023 21:56 #262175 by rusty_parts
Do you still have these available? I would like to try one out for my machines. 

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds