Stepgen on remote serial board? (Mesa)

More
12 Oct 2020 11:10 #185817 by MattyZee
Is it possible to have a step & direction outputs on a Mesa remote serial daughterboard? (like the 7I64 or 7I66-8)

I need to control a stepper on a carousel tool changer which is not located near the main controller. At this stage, I'm still in the planning stage of a retrofit. I am planning on using a 7I95 as the main controller board. I don't want to extend the multitude of I/O wiring all the way back to the main controller, so I'm thinking of using a 7I64 as the remote IO board. The carousel stepper motor drive is currently located in the tool changer control enclosure where the remote IO board will be (and where the stepper motor is).

My best option seems to be to relocate the stepper drive to the main enclosure (where I can use one of the main step/gen outputs) and run a new cable back to the stepper.
Or can the step & dir signals can be passed to the remote IO board? i.e. connect the stepgen signals to the remote IO in the hal file? Is the update speed good enough to run a stepper?
Or, is there a product that can have a stepgen on a remote device?

Cheers
Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2020 13:56 #185840 by PCW
Its not possible to do this currently (as none of the standard sserial boards support step)
generation). You could do very low speed step generation (to 500 Hz or so) in software
though

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds