MPG encoder count by 4?

More
19 Oct 2020 18:58 #186603 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic MPG encoder count by 4?

I really am using almost all of my inputs so moving to software mode 2 would require combining some inputs (like limits) and loosing fidelity on input data..

A MPG only requires 2 inputs so you would still have 30 digital inputs available
have you used more then 30 inputs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2020 20:10 #186613 by jhandel
Replied by jhandel on topic MPG encoder count by 4?
5 axis Pendant takes 9 + MPG, ATC + other system inputs takes another 13, home switches + limit switches is another 9, 6 Servo alarms, a few physical switches, I am using a crap ton.. yah... Even using up most of my BOB's IO..... (ATC + five axes uses sooo many pins!!!)

More
19 Oct 2020 20:19 #186615 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic MPG encoder count by 4?
If it helps I ran out too and recently had to repurpose some pins on my pendant that I had forgotten what they did (eg I never used them)

More
19 Oct 2020 20:42 - 19 Oct 2020 20:43 #186618 by jhandel

If it helps I ran out too and recently had to repurpose some pins on my pendant that I had forgotten what they did (eg I never used them)

my pendant is pretty simple, but with 5 axis, 3 speeds and an e-stop it eats pins... kind of wish we were "smarter" about it I could express 9 values in 4 inputs if we were able to be really creative in the HAL..... But its all just hard switches no IC to convert to something more "compact"

If I run short on pins in the future I'll look at the MPG serial module from MESA..
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 20:43 by jhandel.

More
19 Oct 2020 20:48 #186619 by Mud
Replied by Mud on topic MPG encoder count by 4?
Why not combine the servo alarms?

More
19 Oct 2020 20:52 #186620 by rodw
You think your pendant eats pins?

At least the axis select and the scale inputs are binary so not all pins are in use.

I just ordered a couple more of these wireless 433Mhz pendants with 7i76e and 7i73 so we will see how it goes.
Attachments:

More
19 Oct 2020 21:01 #186622 by jhandel
Same reason I am trying to avoid combining the limit switch alarms.. Detail on the error if something alarms out (also not 100% sure they can be paralleled together (which I can do with my limit switches) )

I have an easy work around, I have an unused encoder, and if I set my moves per encoder count to 1/4 what I want them to be they will work just fine... Its an easy enough work around with no overhead.

More
19 Oct 2020 21:03 - 19 Oct 2020 21:04 #186623 by jhandel

You think your pendant eats pins?

At least the axis select and the scale inputs are binary so not all pins are in use.

I just ordered a couple more of these wireless 433Mhz pendants with 7i76e and 7i73 so we will see how it goes.

Interesting.. What is the lag on those? I have a USB wired MPG on my Mach4 based 4'x8' router and the lag bothers the hell out of me.. My wife doesn't mind and sense she uses it the most (making small furniture) I have never dug into why there is a good 50 or 100ms delay between input and movement... Either way, I am sensitive to MPG lag as my old Adtech controller (the one I am replacing) had no perceivable lag and it was awesome..
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 21:04 by jhandel.

More
19 Oct 2020 21:11 #186624 by rodw
There isn't any perceptible lag or if there is, I have forgotten about it.
The only annoying thing is you have to toggle the estop on the pendant on and off when you first power up the machine but I'm sure that is for safety by design. It uses 433 Mhz wireless, not USB so it is allowed to be real time :)
I am lost without it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhandel

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds