Problem activating relay Mesa 7i76E

More
21 Oct 2020 01:51 #186780 by BeagleBrainz
Be you Cane Toad, Cockroach, Mexican or other ?

I'm a Cockroach myself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2020 02:26 - 21 Oct 2020 02:27 #186782 by JohnnyCNC
The Arduino relay boards just add needless complexity. A simple relay with a diode is better. I have used these relays and socket with good results. They also have an LED in them so you can visually tell when they are activated.

Relay
DIN Socket

I have also used this SSR although a DIN mounted one would be more convenient
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 02:27 by JohnnyCNC.

More
21 Oct 2020 05:47 #186790 by Mike_Eitel
Silly question
Do you have realy high resistance between the coil and the relais output. Or is there some conection between the two sides.
Mike

More
21 Oct 2020 09:31 #186800 by rodw
Here is a suggested circuit diagram. Lets keep it simple and use a 240v panel relay. Jayvar part numbers are shown.
Relay SY4007
Relay base SY4064
Flyback diode IN4001, IN4004, IN4007 or equivalent (from Jaycar)

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Where I have said use bus bars, Mesa has a COMMX2 which is really small and compact and just makes wiring so simple. two banks of 12 terminals commoned together. I wish I knew about them when I built my machine. I have some in Brisbane if you need them. Contact me via vmn.com.au
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2020 11:35 #186804 by johnmc1
Opto couplings come in npn type and pnp types .
Maybe this is a problem.
cheers john

More
21 Oct 2020 12:25 #186807 by BeagleBrainz
That would only be an issue for inputs to the 7i76E.
As the optos are connected to an output controlling a relay as far as the 7i76E is concerned the load is an LED. Whether the photo transistor is NPN or PNP would not matter......that is assuming the relay board maker designed and made the board correctly.
All it should require if the circuit is designed for 12v and need to run it off 24v is a series resistor to suit.

More
23 Oct 2020 02:33 - 23 Oct 2020 04:03 #186959 by Sneaky
Hi All, sorry for the delay in getting back, it seems my relay boards were best placed in the bin, so that's where they are now.

My friend who "knows a bit" spent a couple of minutes with them and then tossed them rather uncerimoiously into the big round file in the corner.

As BeagleBrainz has suggested a semi decent relay board (the one I linked to) with a series resistor and hey presto!!

That would only be an issue for inputs to the 7i76E.
As the optos are connected to an output controlling a relay as far as the 7i76E is concerned the load is an LED. Whether the photo transistor is NPN or PNP would not matter......that is assuming the relay board maker designed and made the board correctly.
All it should require if the circuit is designed for 12v and need to run it off 24v is a series resistor to suit.

Thank you everyone who responded, that's what I love about this community.
RodW, my buddy liked the look of your diagram and is getting me the required components.

*edit*
BeagleBrainz, I'm a Sandgroper, sunny Perth for me.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2020 04:03 by Sneaky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds