Converter board for Yaskawa 12v encoders, plug and play

More
16 Nov 2020 03:35 - 16 Nov 2020 04:05 #189492 by JR1050
Please remove if this violates forum rules.

I have a couple of machines with yaskawa MX1 controls that use 12v single ended encoders. A while back I pitched the idea of building a board that converts the 12v signals to 5v differential and allows using the original wiring. My electrical engineer friend laid the board out and it is in testing process right now, so far it works flawlessly. You pug the original encoder and drive plugs on one side and wire the other side to your favorite I/o hard ware, for testing I used a mesa 5i25/7i77 combo. The board will also work with 5v yaskawa encoders with a jumper change.
After a bit more testing these will be available for sale. Pm me if you are interested. thanks for looking.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 04:05 by JR1050.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2021 17:03 #203523 by Mitri
Hello John, (JR1050) I have been interested in the converter board from the yaskawa protocol, please send me an email to communicate and ask you some questions. Very thankful. Greetings.

More
24 Mar 2021 22:59 #203556 by JR1050
You can contact me at jayare@ mm-machine-shop.com. This is a simple converter board, it does not decode Yaskawa’s absolute encoders. I’ll help you however I can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mitri

More
25 Mar 2021 06:52 #203588 by Mitri
Thank you very much John for your prompt reply. Unfortunately I am looking for Yaskawa's absolute and incremental encoder converter. I'll keep looking, unless you know of any experimental prototypes. Thanks a lot.

More
25 Mar 2021 14:47 #203620 by JR1050
A while back I had started to research the Yaskawa absolute encoder, from what I had found, it was an incremental encoder that also has a serial output for absolute motor position. It used regular differential signals , I didn’t try it, but it would seem to me it would work as an incremental encoder by its self. I’ve seen several of your posts, the kind of stuff you are doing is light years ahead of me. If you need the Yaskawa manuals , I can see if I still have them. They explain the signaling, but not any protocols. Best of luck!

More
26 Mar 2021 07:01 #203672 by Mitri
Good Morning. I am researching the Yaskawa communication protocol form and have not located manuals regarding the command word of the communication protocol. At the electronic level D + / D- is the output (A / B) of an rs485 transceiver (7lb176), the 4 inputs of the c.i. They are controlled directly by the yaskawa microprocessor. It also seems to me that the behavior is similar to an incremental encoder. I will continue investigating. Thank you very much for your contribution, greetings.

More
26 Mar 2021 14:59 #203722 by PCW
Yeah if its the type I remember they send the absolute position in serial
(Async UART) at power up and then switch to standard incremental mode

More
26 Mar 2021 15:37 #203726 by arvidb
This document (TSE-S800-15.1C.pdf: Σ SERIES SGM/SGD BULLETIN) contains a detailed description of the serial protocol for Yaskawa 12-bit absolute encoders and "Phase S (PSO)" encoders. See page 55 (pp 49) and onwards. Maybe it helps?

More
27 Mar 2021 22:02 - 27 Mar 2021 22:02 #203845 by andypugh
The STMBL drives can decode Yaskawa encoders.

It might be possible to use the STMBL STM32 code (and possibly the PCB design)
github.com/rene-dev/stmbl/blob/master/src/comps/yaskawa.c

Using the actual drives would be easier still, if they were actually available.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2021 22:02 by andypugh.

More
27 Mar 2021 22:08 #203846 by PCW
AFAICR some Yaskawa drives use this same interface to the controller.
It should be pretty easy to add this to hostmot2, as its just a UART
on the 'A" encoder signal.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds