7i76e and THC A-D voltage question

More
12 Dec 2020 22:34 #191786 by superbug
I have a very basic supply voltage question. I got an Antek toroidal 70v PS with 12v and 5v outputs for ancillary items. Every wiring diagram shows the power for the 7I76e board being powered with 24v but the manual says it will accept 8v-32v for all power.
This control system will control a plasma, router, and mill by having swappable XLR 4 pin cables for the stepper motors and limits on each machine.
Load the configuration in Linuxcnc, swap the cables depending on which machine is being used and away you go.
Is there an advantage to 24v power or will 12v power work just as well in conjunction with the THCAD card for powering the 7I76e card??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2020 22:39 #191787 by tommylight
It will work with 8 to 32V, higher the voltage makes for less chances of interference.
So yes, 12V will do just fine.
Just keep in mind that removing or plugging the motor connectors while the drives are powered and enabled will destroy them, some safety there would be nice, even if just adding a LED very near those connectors so it can be seen it is on.

More
13 Dec 2020 06:12 #191812 by superbug
Thank you tommylight.
So I'm looking at another post on wiring the 7I76E card and this power issue is asked about specifically. The wiring diagram an OP posted shows 24v to the Field Power TB1 pin 5 and TB3 pin 22. A poster asked about TB3 pin 22 and PCW replied that would destroy the card as that is a 5v input.
So I'm reading the manual trying to decide on the power options and my first question is answered about using 12v on the Field Power TB1 pin 5 which is a go. That will power the "isolated" field I/O section.
Now the confusion, W1 allows VIN to be connected to field power if isolation isn't necessary. VIN which is the logic section is 5v not 12v.
I have separate 5V power, so do I connect 5v to TB3 pin 22 or 5v to P3 VIN, or just the 12v to TB1 pin 5 and W1 to the left for combined field and logic power? What is best since I have both 12v and 5v power? And the manual says that the common has to be the same between the two if a separate PS is used. On this Antek PS it has a 12v module and a 5v module. If it is better to have both 12v and 5v used to isolate field and logic power, connect the ground between them?

More
13 Dec 2020 08:44 #191822 by tommylight
I am pretty sure 7i76E has two ways of powering it, but it's been over 4 years since i had/installed one, so not sure exactly where and how.
But since you have 5V and 12V from the same power supply, 5V has it's own terminal on the ethernet port side and that is what i used.
It was for a router so not much of a worry about EMI and interference.
Should wait for PCW to chime in as he is the master of Mesa boards and he is very helpful, always.

More
13 Dec 2020 08:50 #191826 by rodw
I'm a bit like Tommy. I've forgotten after all this time too (I did run with separate power supplies for 5v and 24v).I know its covered in the mesa manual. Next time I'd just use a 24 v power supply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Dec 2020 12:50 - 13 Dec 2020 13:01 #191854 by PCW

So I'm looking at another post on wiring the 7I76E card and this power issue is asked about specifically. The wiring diagram an OP posted shows 24v to the Field Power TB1 pin 5 and TB3 pin 22. A poster asked about TB3 pin 22 and PCW replied that would destroy the card as that is a 5v input.

24V is fine on TB3 pin 22 not on P3 (P3 is 5V only)

Even is W1 is in the left position You still need to power
the FPGA side via TB3 or P3

(W1 has nothing to do with the FPGA side power)
Last edit: 13 Dec 2020 13:01 by PCW.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds