Dual opto-encoder on 7i96 lathe conversion?

More
31 Dec 2020 12:31 - 31 Dec 2020 13:08 #193639 by evengravy
Hi all,

I'm curious if it is possible to configure Mesa 7i96 encoder inputs to work with existing optical encoder setup on my lathe conversion (Emco PC Turn 55). The hardware setup is a slotted disk on the spindle rear with two opto-interupters one for pulse (100 count), one index. Reading through the manual for 7i96 it seems to specify 3 channel/phase encoders either single ended or differential configured by jumpers. Can it be configured for two channel also? Or, would the regular inputs be fast enough to use in this situation (high RPM in the region of 3,500RPM I believe.)

I wanted to avoid fitting new encoder here if possible as the belt arrangement on the lathe makes it very tricky. I'm guessing what I could do is fit a third sensor and 3D print a carrier to keep the angles where they need to be (if I need to). But I'd rather get away without it if it's doable.

What would be the best option do you think? Thanks in advance, John
Last edit: 31 Dec 2020 13:08 by evengravy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2020 12:50 #193642 by tommylight
If that encoder is a 5V one, yes it can be used and usually the spindle requires only one count channel and an index, channel A and I or Z.
It has to also be set in hal to use only A and Index, but that should be fairly easy.
Sorry, not much help, but it does work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evengravy

More
31 Dec 2020 13:07 #193645 by evengravy
Ah, that's great to hear. They are configured 5V high, yep. I have an example for doing this using a regular breakout board in HAL so I should be able to translate it over with the appropriate changes to HAL nets I think.

7xcnc.com/hardware/encoder/

The MESA is a new learning curve but this is great help, thanks a lot. If I get it figured out I'll document it somewhere here.

More
31 Dec 2020 15:24 #193660 by PCW
For a single channel encoder + index you wire the encoder signal to 7I96 'A',
the index signal to 7I96 'IDX' and set the encoder mode to 'counter' in the hal file

The Mesa hardware encoder interface has quadrature and up/down counter modes
in the up/down counter mode, input 'B' is the direction (it will be left unconnected in this case)
The following user(s) said Thank You: evengravy

More
31 Dec 2020 15:59 #193663 by evengravy
Okay. I'll give that a go. Thanks a lot

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds