Gremlins during threading

More
24 Jan 2021 22:25 #196475 by OT-CNC
I just ran a 100+ pcs rigid tap job on the lathe and encountered some odd pauses before doing a G 33.1.
First 35 or so pcs had no issues. Then an occasional "hang" before threading of a few seconds followed by a few parts without a hiccup.
Machine would continue doing this randomly with some pauses approaching 2 min. It was painful to watch taking this long to cycle the part.
There was no tap breakage. Everything stayed in sync. Parts measured up.
I could re-load the program and everything would run as normal then it would repeat with random pauses at G 33.1.

Computer is old, also noticed a few the keyboard numbers not working.
I'm running older linuxcnc ver 2.7.7 on mesa hardware. I did jiggle encoder wiring connections in the hopes something was loose and it was not.
Tried running the scope while the job was running and that seemed buggy. Couldn't clearly read in the index. Will have to explore that again. I get some minor graphics trails from the cursor at times. Not sure if that needs addressing?

I know the spindle at speed signal is true. I assume A and B channel is working correctly or I would have broken a tap?
Are there any other index related signals I should be looking at?
Any known bugs with treading on 2.7.7?
I did encounter a similar thing a while back while doing a threading cycle, a random short pause waiting to sync up but not as noticeable as this go around.
I need to fix this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2021 22:56 #196479 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Gremlins during threading
Sounds like a missing index from the encoder
(if you are completely sure spindle-at-speed is always true)

More
24 Jan 2021 23:33 #196485 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Gremlins during threading

Tried running the scope while the job was running and that seemed buggy. Couldn't clearly read in the index.

You won't see the index on halscope, normally, as it is too short a pulse.

You should see spindle-index-enable go true, though, and it should go false on the first index after being set.

If spindle-index-enable is staying high then there is something wrong with the index pulse itself, or with the hardware.
(I am discounting the possibility of a fault in the Mesa card firmware)

More
24 Jan 2021 23:40 #196486 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Gremlins during threading
To trouble shoot your encoder try this
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/tuning/encoder.html

JT

More
25 Jan 2021 00:29 #196496 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Gremlins during threading
Thanks for the responses. I'll look closer at index enable.
One other thing worth mentioning is that my wiring is going from the spindle encoder to my VFD which has an encoder card fitted and is split out in a Y to the mesa card. Shield drain terminates on one end at star ground. Wonder if the Y is possibly introducing a signal drop?
I'll have to poke around with a scope.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds