New 7i96 Boot Looping

More
03 Feb 2021 16:20 #197564 by dzawacki
Hello all! I've decided to get a second CNC and this time I'm building it from scratch. I started wiring up the electronics this past weekend and I'm already running into an issue.

Right now, I have a 5v wall brick powering my Mesa 7i96. Powering my stepper motors and their drivers, I have a 48v PSU.

When I power it all on, I'm getting what appears to be a boot loop on the Mesa card. The CR11 and CR12 lights are flashing red. If I remove the connection between the Mesa card and stepper driver, the boot looping appears to be even more prominent. The YouTube videos below show the two situations (connected to the stepper driver, and not connected). I have confirmed that the +5v and the GND are connected properly on the Mesa card (swapping them doesn't allow for the board to boot).

Any thoughts on what I did wrong here? I'm sure it is something simple but since there isn't much connected right now I cannot even fathom what it might be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2021 16:25 #197565 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic New 7i96 Boot Looping
That most likely means a 5V power supply issue
I would use a different power supply

More
03 Feb 2021 16:31 #197567 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic New 7i96 Boot Looping
I'll give that a go and see if it makes a difference. I have another 7i96 setup I can crack open to borrow the power from.

I tested the output on the 5v power supply before hooking it up and I was getting a constant 5v. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More
03 Feb 2021 17:20 #197574 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New 7i96 Boot Looping

I have confirmed that the +5v and the GND are connected properly on the Mesa card (swapping them doesn't allow for the board to boot).

DO NOT do that, never ever do that to electronics, it will always kill them ( except in roughly 0.03% of cases )

More
03 Feb 2021 17:37 #197575 by dzawacki
Fortunately, I'm in the 0.03%!

More
03 Feb 2021 17:38 #197576 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New 7i96 Boot Looping

Fortunately, I'm in the 0.03%!

Nice ! :)

More
03 Feb 2021 17:46 #197577 by dzawacki
Alright, just swapped the power supply with my working Mesa 7i96 board and the one that was boot looping booted fine. So I'll be getting a better power supply for it.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds