Spindle Configuration

More
19 Feb 2021 03:25 #199369 by Thods1222
Hello all, I am retrofitting a Cincinnati Arrow 1000. I am running Linuxcnc 2.8 and Linux Mint. I am hitting a wall getting the spindle running. The hardware I have in place is 7i92H/7I77/7I71/7I70 and 7i73. I have all the axis tuned and moving precisely and now working on the spindle I cant figure out how to calibrate. The spindle drive is a vickers VFS5 and unless I am mistaken it takes an analog signal to dictate the spindle movement. I have tried examples in the book with DAC scaling and they dont seem to work. I also started putting in the PWMgen functions but quit midstream for fear of messing something up. It is probably something I have configured wrong. Also when the spindle is enabled it drifts slightly. I have tried adjusting the PID loop and it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas to make this happen would be appreciated. Ultimately I would like to have this spindle closed loop so I can do rigid tapping and toolchanges with the carosel. Enclosed are the HAL, INI and Custom.hal files where all of my coding has been performed.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 02:04 #199918 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Spindle Configuration
Sorry for the late reply,
7i77 has a separate output for the spindle that can be used with any VFD or servo drive accepting 0-10V or +-10V, it also has separate enable for it and encoder inputs, so maybe i am failing to understand why using PWM for it.
Any documentation on the spindle or basic info ?

More
24 Feb 2021 02:33 #199921 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Spindle Configuration
One basic error is that you have the spindle connected to analog out 4
It should be connected to analog out 5 (the channel with the separate enable)

More
20 Nov 2021 02:05 #227042 by Thods1222
Replied by Thods1222 on topic Spindle Configuration
Thanks for the replies in the past, I am going to try to resurrect this now that I have some time to mess with it. 
Like I said before I am trying to control the BDS5 spindle drive that came with the machine. I corrected the analog out to 5 and my machine has an output that kicks the spindle in CW/CCW rotation which enables the spindle.  Here is a pic of the wiring diagram that came with the machine. I am able to control the spindle up/down with the manual toggle buttons but when commanded via MDI it faults the drive.  I need to get a ramp in place that can smooth the transition from 0 to speed.  Is there an example of code that I can use to get this in place? 
Attachments:

More
22 Feb 2022 01:00 #235486 by Thods1222
Replied by Thods1222 on topic Spindle Configuration
Hey all, I have been messing around with this some more and I think I may have it pretty close.  For some reason, the commanded spindle speed ignores the ramping actions and the commanded speed is almost instantaneous. This VFS5/BDS5 drive behaves pretty much an axis drive but accepts +-10V for commands. If I can get this to soft start to work I think I can avoid the drive faulting and I can start working on the toolchanger. That piece should be pretty good since this drive orients with an only an input pin. 

Can a seasoned veteran of linuxcnc look over my code below and let me know if I am missing something.  

loadrt limit2 names=spindle-ramp
loadrt near names=spindle-at-speed
loadrt scale count=1
setp scale.0.gain 0.0001

addf spindle-ramp servo-thread
addf spindle-at-speed servo-thread
addf scale.0 servo-thread

setp spindle-ramp.maxv 60

net spindle-cmd <= spindle.0.speed-out => spindle-ramp.in

net spindle-ramped <= spindle-ramp.out => scale.0.in

net spindle-cmd => spindle-at-speed.in1
net spindle-ramped => spindle-at-speed.in2

net spindle-ready <= spindle-at-speed.out => spindle.0.at-speed

net spindle-cmd => hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.analogout5
net spindle-enable => hm2_7i92.0.7i77.0.1.spinena hm2_7i92.0.7i71.1.1.output-04

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds