How to configure Pico Universal Stepper - Stepper, Geiko microstep, gears, etc.

More
06 Apr 2021 20:39 #205181 by dansawyer
The software system is 2.8.0.
The base configuation files were loaded from pico-systems.com/codes/univstep/ and modified for the correct I/O port.
The parallel port and USC are functioning normally.
When linuxcnc is started it opens and appears to function normaly. There is no power to the drivers so there is no system

My questions are:
1. Is this configuratin set up for steppers or servo. (I hope steppers)
2. How and where is this configuration setup for Geiko 203V drivers. (micro steps etc. )
3. How and where is the configuration setup for gearing (the system happesn to be 1:1)
4. Am I missing anything? (there are no limits or home switches in place at this time)

The system wiring is setup according the diagram in the USC Geiko doc.
I appologize for the basic questions. I was unable to find answers.
Thanks, Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2021 22:55 #205210 by jmelson
If the serial number says USC then it is a stepper controller. If the univstep configs file set starts and goes to the Axis GUI, then it agrees it has found stepper hardware.
In the .ini file, you can set the number of steps for your desired measurement units.
There is no "gearing", the only thing that matters is # of steps / unit of measure.
This is all set out in the LinuxCNC docs.

Limit switches are optional. Good if you have a machine strong enough to break things, otherwise not a big deal. Home switches are VERY useful to establish the machine travel limits. That will help avoid starting a cutting program and only find out a half hour later that you will run off the end of machine travel. When homed, you will be informed when you load the program.

Jon

More
06 Apr 2021 23:26 #205214 by dansawyer
Thank you.

Below is one of the sections form the ini file dealing with axis. I do not see a parameter for
'number of steps for your desired measurement units'.
Is this the correct section? Units is set to inches. It the parameter number of steps per inch?

Thank you, Dan

[AXIS_X]
MIN_LIMIT = -10.0
MAX_LIMIT = 10.0
MAX_VELOCITY = 1.50
MAX_ACCELERATION = 20.0

[JOINT_0]

TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.000
MAX_VELOCITY = 1.50
MAX_ACCELERATION = 20.0
PID_MAX_VEL = 1.25
BACKLASH = 0.000
INPUT_SCALE = 10000
OUTPUT_SCALE = 10000
MIN_LIMIT = -10.0
MAX_LIMIT = 10.0
FERROR = 0.0100
MIN_FERROR = 0.001
HOME_OFFSET = 0.0
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.0
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.0
HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = NO
DEADBAND = 0.000126
P = 500
I = 25
D = 0.5
BIAS = 0
FF0 = 0
FF1 = 1.004
FF2 = 0.002

More
07 Apr 2021 02:37 #205224 by jmelson

Thank you.

Below is one of the sections form the ini file dealing with axis. I do not see a parameter for
'number of steps for your desired measurement units'.
Is this the correct section? Units is set to inches. It the parameter number of steps per inch?

INPUT_SCALE = 10000
OUTPUT_SCALE = 10000

Generally, INPUT_SCALE is all you need, unless you are running "closed loop" meaning with encoder feedback.
The above would set you up for 10 thousand step pulses per inch moved. Adjust this number to match your machine.

Jon

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds