What interface is this encoder?

More
27 Apr 2021 10:54 #207211 by FranseFrikandel
Hello,

I recently bought this encoder, Opkon MRA 50AR8 TT 12 SSI V2.
It says in the datasheet it is an SSI interface, however after having it here now I suddenly noticed there's no differential wire pairs.
Instead there is only a single DO pin, a clock pin and what seems to be chip select. This seems to point to something similar to SPI, but SPI normally has 2 data wires for bidirectional data. I am not sure if simply connecting data out to only MISO is what is intended here.

I was hoping someone here already came across something similar once before.

PDF files attached are the datasheets I was able to find online. The one starting with "datablad" is provided by the retailer, and the other one I found online, but contains some more information on the communication protocol.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2021 13:50 #207224 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic What interface is this encoder?
It is SSI but TTL levels and having a CS pin are not standard
(sounds like the interface is directly from the encoder chip)

More
27 Apr 2021 20:03 - 27 Apr 2021 20:13 #207254 by chris@cnc
yes that is a serial protocol. Actually, such encoders are connected directly to the amplifier from the same manufacturer. Looks like a driver needs to be written for it. At the moment I don't know how to connect the thing. But it's a very interesting thing. Has anyone ever done something in this direction and can this show us?
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 20:13 by chris@cnc.

More
27 Apr 2021 20:26 - 27 Apr 2021 20:26 #207261 by PCW
it should be supported by HM2s SSI interface if you can simply tie CS in the active state.
TTL is not a great interface for encoders however as its quite susceptible to noise
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 20:26 by PCW.

More
27 Apr 2021 21:01 #207265 by chris@cnc

TTL is not a great interface for encoders however as its quite susceptible to noise

Yes, I also experienced that very painfully. Unfortunately, the encoders are very cheap. I was able to glue it to RS422 with a TTL converter. In the end it was still cheaper than the good linear encoders.

But for wiring. The SSI interface would like to have 4 cables RX + RX- TX + TX-. How to convert it to CLK, DSN and DO.
CLK = clock
DSN =?
DO = Serial Digital out

More
27 Apr 2021 21:07 #207266 by PCW
TX -> CLK
RX <- DO
DSN = tie active (maybe)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.855 seconds