How to configure 7I92+DMM BOB

More
09 May 2021 15:20 #208384 by kryten
Hi, This is my first post about DMM.
I'm trying to move to LinuxCNC from Mach3 because I can't get pulsing without interrupts from the parallel port on newer computers.
I've used an ethernet smooth stepper on a router but the buffering of the feed hold command is scary and I don't know if they ever got all the Lathe functions working properly.
My current project is a Lathe.
All I want is open loop step/dir to the Dyn2 servo drives but I can't get the IO to work.
I have a Mesa 7i92 that I have flashed with the 7i92_DMMBOB1x2D.bit firmware and have been trying to use PncConf but there isn't anything close in the list of firmware in PncConf that I've been able to work with. I'm not using any Daughter Boards.
The Mesa seems to be pulsing on only pin 2 of the parallel port ( ribbon cable from IDC26 to DB25 ) no matter which direction or axis I jog.
I've tried editing the HAL file but flying blind as there seems to be too many things to change and I'm not sure what a lot of them mean.
When I run LinuxCNC I get a following error which shouldn't be possible if it's running open loop with no encoder feedback.
My lathe has been out of action for 2 weeks now and I will have to give up on LinuxCNC if I can't get it working asap which is a pity because I wanted to do some closed loop stuff in the future ( rigid tapping and better screw cutting ).
I thought open loop step/dir would be an entry level way to learn LinuxCNC.
Does anyone have a HAL file for LATHE that works with the 7i92_DMMBOB1x2D.bit firmware ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2021 15:43 - 09 May 2021 15:45 #208388 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic How to configure 7I92+DMM BOB
Pncconf and a 7I92+G540x2 daughterboard selection should be very close

The DMMBOB firmware should map stepgen 0 through 3 to the correct DB25 pins
for the DMM BOB, so the pin mismatch between the DMM and G540 should not
actually be an issue. You can verify the DMM pinout by looking at the 7i92_DMMBOB1x2D.pin

A following error usually means some kind of hal file setup error
Last edit: 09 May 2021 15:45 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kryten

More
09 May 2021 15:45 #208390 by Michael
You should probably start a new thread.

But one suggestion I would try, in pncconf there is an option for discovering the pin out. It is the same section where you would select the mesa board you are using.

Any reason you went with the DMM breakout? I would just buy a 7i76 and go from there. That would be as plug and play as you can get and pretty fool proof.

More
09 May 2021 22:38 - 10 May 2021 05:10 #208432 by PCW
Here is the 7I92 --> DMM4250 Bob function mapping for the 7I92 with DMM firmware:

IO Connections for P2
Pin#                  I/O   Pri. func    Sec. func       Chan      Pin func        Pin Dir

Spindle-PWM             0   IOPort       PWM              0        PWM             (Out)
Drive-Enable            1   IOPort       None           
X-Dir                   2   IOPort       StepGen          0        Dir/Table2      (Out)
EStop-In                3   IOPort       None           
X-Step                  4   IOPort       StepGen          0        Step/Table1     (Out)
Output-16               5   IOPort       None           
Y-Dir                   6   IOPort       StepGen          1        Dir/Table2      (Out)
Output-17               7   IOPort       None           
Y-Step                  8   IOPort       StepGen          1        Step/Table1     (Out)
Z-Dir                   9   IOPort       StepGen          2        Dir/Table2      (Out)
Z-Step                 10   IOPort       StepGen          2        Step/Table1     (Out)
A-Dir                  11   IOPort       StepGen          3        Dir/Table2      (Out)
A-Step,ChargePump      12   IOPort       StepGen          3        Step/Table1     (Out)
X-Limit                13   IOPort       None           
Y-Limit                14   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-A          (In)
Z-Limit                15   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-B          (In)
A-Limit                16   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-IDX        (In)

( made with mesaflash --device 7i92 -addr 10.10.10.10 --readhmid --dbname1=dmm4250 )
Last edit: 10 May 2021 05:10 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kryten

More
09 May 2021 23:40 #208437 by tommylight

You should probably start a new thread.

He just did.

More
10 May 2021 04:15 #208453 by Michael
I thought my reply was in the old thread. Maybe someone pulled it all out. Only way I found the discussion was because it came up on my own thread I was subscribed to.

More
10 May 2021 05:07 #208460 by PCW
Yes, I moved it all to a new more appropriately titled thread
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
11 May 2021 14:29 #208554 by kryten
Thanks Michael.
I was using the DMM breakout board with Mach3 and the parallel port.
It's opto isolated, has large capacitors for the servo power circuit and the cables supplied use connectors that plug into the BOB and the servo drives.
The option you mentioned i presume is called "discovery".
I didn't notice that when I selected the Mesa board.
It came up with the same options that were there for the 7i92.

More
11 May 2021 14:56 #208559 by kryten
Thanks
I did use the G540x2 selection.
I saw one of your other posts about setting up the PID values for open loop and I no longer have the following error every time I jog an axis.
I've wired up a proto board with LEDs so I can see the pulses on different pins.
I'm getting pulses for step and direction now. I had to slow everything down so I could see the pulses.
So I've made some progress thanks to you guys.
I'll connect to a servo drive on the weekend and see what happens.

More
16 May 2021 16:50 #209123 by kryten

Here is the 7I92 --> DMM4250 Bob function mapping for the 7I92 with DMM firmware:

IO Connections for P2
Pin#                  I/O   Pri. func    Sec. func       Chan      Pin func        Pin Dir

Spindle-PWM             0   IOPort       PWM              0        PWM             (Out)
Drive-Enable            1   IOPort       None           
X-Dir                   2   IOPort       StepGen          0        Dir/Table2      (Out)
EStop-In                3   IOPort       None           
X-Step                  4   IOPort       StepGen          0        Step/Table1     (Out)
Output-16               5   IOPort       None           
Y-Dir                   6   IOPort       StepGen          1        Dir/Table2      (Out)
Output-17               7   IOPort       None           
Y-Step                  8   IOPort       StepGen          1        Step/Table1     (Out)
Z-Dir                   9   IOPort       StepGen          2        Dir/Table2      (Out)
Z-Step                 10   IOPort       StepGen          2        Step/Table1     (Out)
A-Dir                  11   IOPort       StepGen          3        Dir/Table2      (Out)
A-Step,ChargePump      12   IOPort       StepGen          3        Step/Table1     (Out)
X-Limit                13   IOPort       None           
Y-Limit                14   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-A          (In)
Z-Limit                15   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-B          (In)
A-Limit                16   IOPort       QCount           0        Quad-IDX        (In)

( made with mesaflash --device 7i92 -addr 10.10.10.10 --readhmid --dbname1=dmm4250 )

Thanks PCW.
I now have the X and Z axis and Spindle working on the Lathe.( faster than Mach3 could do it ).
I'll need to study a bit more to get the spindle PWM to work correctly as it doesn't start to turn until I input at least S406 in MDI.
So it seems the PWM is 0v until 400RPM is requested in MDI and goes up to PWM 10v at 1000RPM.
All this is open loop as I can't get the spindle pulse into LinuxCNC yet.
I'm using a single pulse per rev on the spindle.

In PncConf I have 1 Mesa 7i92 board and 1 parallel port on the pc mother board ( 0x378 ).
I need to connect 2 MPGs and the spindle pulse to the parallel port but the inputs available in PncConf only have Digital in or other generic inputs for home switches, etc. There doesn't seem to be an option for encoder or MPG inputs.
The firmware on the Mesa Board doesn't allow all these inputs.
Can the Hal be edited to make the parallel port accept encoder inputs ?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds