insmod for hal_parport failed, returned -1

More
10 May 2021 15:58 #208484 by daiman444
greetings, colleagues. I was interested to install on LinuxCNC on Debian Buster with RTAI kernel as described here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI. The installation on the VM went fine, I rebooted with the necessary kernel, created a config, but it does not want to start. I made a report to post it here. I would like to test the work first on a virtual machine before loading the OS on a working PC. I will be glad for hints and help, because I do not have enough experience to understand why the configuration does not want to load.

Warning: Spoiler!

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_info.txt
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 16:40 #208486 by jmelson
Does your VM make a parallel port available to the guest OS? Most do NOT, by default, you have to turn the parport on explicitly.

Note that LinuxCNC generally won't run well at all in a VM, except for simulation.

Jon

More
10 May 2021 17:12 #208488 by daiman444

Does your VM make a parallel port available to the guest OS? Most do NOT, by default, you have to turn the parport on explicitly.

Note that LinuxCNC generally won't run well at all in a VM, except for simulation.

Jon

the output of the "lspci-v" command does not contain information about the parallel port on any of the running VMs, but any configuration is started on other VMs.

More
10 May 2021 23:10 #208506 by andypugh
Does your VM emulate a parallel port as a PCI device, or just as a generic endpoint at 0x378?

try "sudo cat /proc/ioports" to find non-pci parallel ports. (if you don't use "sudo" the addresses show as 0000)

Here is the output from one of my own VMs after adding a simulated parport:
andypugh@buster:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$ sudo cat /proc/ioports
    0376-0376 : ata_piix
  0378-037a : parport0
  03c0-03df : vga+

But that parport does _not_ show up with lspci.

More
11 May 2021 13:29 #208546 by daiman444

Does your VM emulate a parallel port as a PCI device, or just as a generic endpoint at 0x378?

try "sudo cat /proc/ioports" to find non-pci parallel ports. (if you don't use "sudo" the addresses show as 0000)

Here is the output from one of my own VMs after adding a simulated parport:
andypugh@buster:~/linuxcnc-dev/src$ sudo cat /proc/ioports
    0376-0376 : ata_piix
  0378-037a : parport0
  03c0-03df : vga+

But that parport does _not_ show up with lspci.

thank you for your tip. on no virtual machine does the output "sudo cat /proc/ioports" contain information about parallel ports. I will look for a solution further. below is an example of the output "sudo cat /proc/ioports" and it is approximately the same for the rest of the machines:

Warning: Spoiler!

More
11 May 2021 14:33 #208555 by andypugh
On VMware Player I had to specifically add a parallel port as a device. Then it showed up.

If your VM does not allow that, then you can still use pure-sim configs.

More
11 May 2021 16:03 #208562 by jmelson
Yes, all virtual machine systems I know (VMWare and Virtual Box) require you to alter the settings for the VM to activate the parallel port. I have used this for device programmers, and it does work. A long time ago, you had to use a later version of Virtual Box to have the parport feature available.

Jon

More
19 May 2021 15:14 #209518 by daiman444
greetings, colleagues. I solved my problem with the standard installation of the LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO on the virtual machine and the additional installation of the RTAI core of the po of the standard isstruction from here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI. Thank you for your helpful advice.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds