mesa 5i25 card problem

More
14 Jun 2021 01:17 #211986 by ericg
mesa 5i25 card problem was created by ericg
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I will anyway

I have a Mesa card 5i25 which has been running well for about 12 months now, I don't think it is still under warranty, but it may have developed a fault which I don't know what to do about.

it is driving a Gecko g540 and I'm using Linuxcnc v2.8.1.

The problem that has just started (after I reinstalled a new hard drive and copied everything back onto it) is that when I activate linuxcnc and press the machine on button to activate everything it does that but then it randomly switches itself off again within a few seconds to a few minutes.

I have re written the 5i25 with the command sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --write 5i25_g540x2.bit, which it does successfully and also verified it successfully.

I have unplugged the db25 cable from the 5i25 and ran everything from my original software using the parallel port and that works without a problem (the motherboard is not great and I do get timing issues which is why I prefer the 5i25) however it does not randomly turn of the machine.

I am not sure if the board has developed a fault or if I have done something incorrectly. I would appreciate any assistance in this matter before I replace the board. I have also sent a copy of this to Mesanet but I think I would get better support from this forum
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2021 09:02 #212005 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
Moved to " driver boards".
Do you get latency warnings ?
A screenshot would help.

More
14 Jun 2021 09:46 #212009 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
thanks tommylight, but I get no warning of any kind and a screenshot would show only the axis screen, I can fire up linuxcnc no problem, I turn on the machine-is-on button (F2) all other buttons etc become active, then I do nothing else, no homing, no motion, nothing and the f2 button just goes false. I have looked for noise on the estop line as well as the machine-is-on and machine-s-enabled but they only show high or low,
Mesa tech suggested I clean the contacts and check the jumpers etc, but that just means they have no idea either. it may be noise, but with nothing on that is electrical around, not even the lights, I have no idea where to look.
I don't want to buy another card only to find it was something simple and not hardware, hence why I'm asking here.
Eric

More
14 Jun 2021 10:03 #212012 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
Which inputs do you have on the Mesa card that can turn the machine off? If you identify those, you could try moving them to other inputs on the Mesa card. That would exclude any hardware errors on specific inputs, as well as constitute a contact cleaning/good connectivity check.

More
14 Jun 2021 10:24 #212016 by ericg
good thought, thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow (8:15pm here and too cold out in the shed)
Eric

More
15 Jun 2021 12:51 #212118 by ericg
it appears to be all good now, I cannot believe how it was fixed, I tried everything I could think of and finally tried unplugging the stepper motors and the interface stopped flicking off, waited ages but it did not happen, so I plugged each stepper back in one at a time waiting ages between each one and I ended up with all three plugged back in and it appears to be stable again???
dirty plugs and sockets?? I have no idea
Eric

More
17 Jun 2021 22:58 #212300 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
All very mysterious.

You can get what you describe if there is electrical noise on the limit switches. It is generally a good idea to debounce the limits for 10ms or so to prevent nuisance tripping.
But if that is the problem there is typically a warning on-screen.

More
17 Jun 2021 23:55 #212305 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
If a connection between a driver and a motor is intermittent that could lead to high voltage inductive spikes, which could cause permanent damage or temporary "lock-ups". The spike might arc and cause both direct injection of high voltage and strong EMI that could disturb logic level parts. So maybe that's an explanation?

More
18 Jun 2021 09:08 #212317 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic mesa 5i25 card problem
This is always due to miss wiring/not proper grounding/ looped cables/unshielded signal or input cables.
Most of the time, ground not at the same potential.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds