Initial setup of Mesa 7I92

More
22 Sep 2021 02:41 #221319 by Smarttowers
I've got a new Mesa 7I92 and today I was trying to set it up to be recognized in linuxmint. I followed the stickie thread forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3559...ethernet-mesa-boards and can't manage to get the card to respond to a ping. I'm using a Dell Optiplex 780 onboard ethernet card. I went through the initial setup and changed it to manual and the addresses as stated but after I do that the card doesn't show up so that I can click on it. The card works fine for internet as I'm posting on that machine currently. I tried restarting the computer after I had performed the changes and I got a 127.0.0.1 address for that card. Also when I change to the 10.10.10.11 settings i get the same issue. I've searched through the web trying to find someone with the same problem but it seems most don't have any issues with getting connected to the board like i'm having. The INIT LED is flashing when I first power it on the other 2 LED's are solid.

Also wanted to let Peter know the manual for the 7I92 states the INIT LED is on the right hand side of the board but when its oriented the way it shows in the manual the LED's are on the left hand side of the board.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated I'm sure its something stupid I'm doing wrong. I am using the same Cat5 cable from the computer to the switch for my internet as I use when I tried connecting to the 7I92. I tried pinging and it didn't find it after I went through the tutorial.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2021 02:44 #221320 by Smarttowers
I also noticed the jumpers in the default state say the IP address is 192.168.1.121 so I switched the W6 jumper to UP and tried that also but still didn't have any luck. I'm using a regular configured Cat 5 not a crossover one.

More
22 Sep 2021 03:28 - 22 Sep 2021 03:48 #221322 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Initial setup of Mesa 7I92
You should only have the yellow power LED Illuminated after initial power-up.
If you have a blinking red init LED, its possible you have 5V power issues.

That is, at initial power-up, the red /DONE and /INIT LEDS should blink
briefly and both go out. The yellow power LED should always be illuminated
The green user LEDs will normally count received packets, unless set for
LinuxCNC access.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2021 03:48 by PCW.

More
22 Sep 2021 12:53 #221340 by Smarttowers
Ok I'm sure it's a power issue I cut a USB cord and hooked it up but I'm running it from the computer USB so almost certainly not enough Amps to power it. Thank you it was driving me crazy ill try it later but bet that's the issue.

More
23 Sep 2021 03:01 #221398 by Smarttowers
Ok the problem was definitely power supply. I had to use a different cord and a phone charger but it now boots up and I can ping the board on 

Now when I try to view the info from the board using
Mesaflash - - device 7i92 - - addr 10.10.10.10 - -readhmid 
I get No 7I92 board found. 
I've tried address 10.10.10.11, 10.10.10.10 and tried 7i92 and 7i92h 

Neither combination will give me any data from the card. 

I've attached a picture of the card led's. The 4 green on the side keep changing like displaying binary count of packets. 

Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2021 11:33 #221420 by tommylight
ip a
????

More
23 Sep 2021 13:39 #221429 by Smarttowers
Ok tommylight you fixed it with a prod. I had not changed the jumper on the board to the eeprom position to make the ip 10.10.10.10. I had been pinging 10.10.10.11 which was the computer itself I tried 10.10.10.10 and it failed, switched jumper position and now I was able to ping it and pull the settings from it.

Peter unrelated but do you suggest any voltage protection circuit for the board? Right now I'm running it from a reliable source but in the cabinet it may not be as reliable. I'm planning to use the old power supply 5v line to run the cards. 

More
23 Sep 2021 15:14 #221433 by tommylight
Older Samsung chargers were very good for powering Mesa boards, 5V flat at 1.5 to 2A load.
Getting very hard to find them, had a friend who provided me with those for a while at 5 Euro a pop. No more.
Now using some DC-DC converters but they tend to drift a bit with temperature change. No fails as of yet on 5 machines, but i keep monitoring them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shpatb

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds