Sanity check, 7i92 to mx4660 + relay board?

More
23 Jan 2022 00:13 #232844 by CWALV_Puzzle
I am planning a new Router build with an AVID benchtop (dual drive on one axis) unit with an ATC spindle from CNCDepot with Hitachi VFD.  I have lots of experience with Linux, LinuxCNC and electronics.  I am new to using mesa cards.  I don't expect to need much if any hand holding however I would like a sanity check on my proposed setup.

The 7i92 DB25 to MX4660 DB25 should get me most, if not all, the IO I need to get the basic machine up and running.  For the stuff that does not fit in the DB25 the MX4660 has a second 26 pin connector for 4 more inputs and 4 more outputs.  Since these 26 pin connectors appear to have different pinouts I will have to make a custom cable or use a couple of 26 pin breakout boards.

I plan on keeping the spindle control analog with feedback and monitoring  via an rs485 interface.  USB converter or built in depends on the computer I pick to run it.

If I run out of outputs for things like air blast or coolant pump I also have an 8 ch relay board that I would use the other 8 GPIO on the 7i92 26 pin to drive. It has ttl style inputs (TI uln2803a input chip)

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2022 20:14 #234284 by tommylight
7i92 with the right firmware will have pinouts set as a normal parallel port, and i think there is firmware for mx4660 already.
And yes you can use relay boards on the second header if they are 5V rated, although most work by sinking the inputs so should just work with 7i92.
I use arduino relay boards a lot with 7i92.
Thank you for waiting so long.

More
08 Feb 2022 03:38 #234319 by CWALV_Puzzle
Thank you, I did find the mx4660 firmware. I think it's going to work just fine for what I need.

My 7i92 got here the other day, I will be able to play with it in a few weeks after a cross country road trip. Still waiting for my electronics and steppers to arrive as well. The main machine is 15 weeks out too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds