Mesa Ethernet, dropped packets and potential noise issues

More
05 Feb 2022 16:21 #234030 by johnbl
Hello,

I have a setup with a Mesa 7i94, 3 smart serial remotes, and 3 servo motors (2x 750W + 1x 400W).

During testing I noticed occasional weird errors (like joint following errors during homing/jogging) and hostmot read times spiking to 400-800us (servo thread period is 1ms).
I started suspecting dropped packets due to EMI noise from the servo drives.  By adding a debug log in hm2_eth.c: record_soft_error() I could monitor dropped packets in the console.

I noticed that as soon as the 750W servo drive were enabled, packet errors started happening. Sometimes one every couple of seconds, sometimes many per seconds, but never enough to trigger a hard error. 

I tried replacing the Ethernet cable with another one (both were shielded) going straight from the PC to the Mesa card, keeping it away from the servo drives/cables and I think it reduced somewhat the frequency of the packet errors but they still happened.

Now it gets weird: once I manually jogged a tiny bit the 750W motors, no more packet errors occured!
And I can reproduce it every time: enable the servo drives: packet errors. Jog the motors: no more errors!

Also I noticed that I never got any packet loss on any of the 3 SmartSerial remotes, and their cables aren't even shielded.

What is going on?! Please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2022 16:53 #234031 by PCW
That's weird, it's like the drives are in some different mode before the first motion

I would look at adding common mode chokes (a giant ferrite bead over U,V,W)
on the motor leads and perhaps a line filter on the driver power source.

More
05 Feb 2022 19:25 - 05 Feb 2022 19:26 #234042 by johnbl
Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is weird... I did not expect the Ethernet link to be the weak link...
Also all my motor cables are shielded and terminated at both ends.

I don't have any chokes on hand but I'll try adding some line filters.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2022 19:26 by johnbl.

More
05 Feb 2022 19:48 #234045 by PCW
Yeah, the problem with motor wiring is you have ~350V square waves (for 220V drives)
with microsecond or sub microsecond risetimes driving into cabling/winding
capacitance. Unless you have something to limit the peak current, like a
common mode choke at the drive, you can easily induce peak ground currents
of many amps at MHz frequencies. At these frequencies all ground wiring is an autotransformer...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds