7i76 Leadshine HBS57H Closed Loop Position Following Error / Open Loop No Error

More
06 Apr 2022 19:28 - 07 Apr 2022 17:45 #239466 by garrettmin
Closed Loop HBS57H Red LED 7x Flashing Error
Position Following Error Protection
When the position error exceeds the limit (software configurable, see software manual), position,step / dir
protection will be activated and red LED will blink seven times within each periodic time.

With Same HAL & INI: 
7i92 7i76 Motors=YES with a TB6600
7i92 7i76 Motors=NO with a HBS57H
7i92 7i76 LED Signal Test= YES @ Step/Dir G-Code Jogging XYZ (Common Cathode Anode & Differential) 
Verified Wiring Presumed Correct @ 7i76 HBS57H Signal, Encoder & Motor Connectors.

Mesa 7i92 7i76: 
Leadshine HBS57H & N23 Closed Loop Motor
HBS57H Red LED 7x Flashing Error = Position Following Error Protection
I think this error also logged a EMC2 Error "Joint Following Error". 
I think it is an Error of the Closed Loop Encoder with wrong HAL or INI.

EMC2: Joint Following Error
I think this is an error in HAL or INI that is same Encoder Error as HBS57H Position Following Error

HAL / INI for HBS86H:
Stepper Scale = 200 or 1.8 Degree Closed Loop N23 Motor
Max Velocity = 1500mm/min
Accel = 750mm/sec
Rapid Speed Follow Error = 10mm
Feed Speed Follow Error = 1mm
P = 1000
STEP/DIR = 2500 / 5000
STEP/DIR = 5000 / 10000

Motors will spin for a second or two,
then the HBS86H RED LED turns on and motors wont spin.
7i76 LED TEST PASS on all Step/Dir indicating the 7i76 is working fine
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 17:45 by garrettmin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2022 02:34 #239498 by spumco
[OP - Hard to read the text...if you're using a translator program and pasting the results, you might try adjusting the output font size]

Before trying to diagnose HAL or INI or Lcnc issues, you need to establish that the drive and motor are working properly.

For this you will need the drive tuning software - search on internet for your drive model.  Some of the Leadshine software versions will work with generic/knock-off drives.  You will also need the serial cable adapter (or whatever cable is required) to connect a Windows PC to the drive.

Disconnect the motor from the axis and power up the drive.  Connect the PC to the drive and read the status, as well as checking all the settings.

You may find that the following error setting in the drive is too tight - if so, raise the permitted error.  In addition, see if the current settings are abnormally low (both holding current and max current).

The software may also permit you to rotate the motor and watch the encoder counts - either by hand or the software can move the motor.

If you get a following error immediately when the drive is powered on, the most likley cause is a mis-wired encoder.  I know you wrote that you checked all the connections...but triple-check them, keeping in mind that factory-supplied extension cables do not always have the same colors are on the motor encoder leads (or on the datasheet).

Only after you've established that the drive and motor are working properly outside of LinuxCNC, can start sorting out HAL and INI settings.  It may be as simple as too high accel or the wrong step scale (causing the drive to try to spin too fast).

More
07 Apr 2022 18:00 - 07 Apr 2022 19:34 #239566 by garrettmin
LinuxCNC reviews to have a VERY GOOD FORUM. The LCNC community is always attending & responding usually within 1x days time. Thank You! It gives the LCNC Novice alot of confidence...

My review of Leadshine RS232 Serial COM Ports is unfavorable.

CP2102 USB to UART Adapter Failed.
All RS232 Pinouts & Reserached Leadshine Instruction Manual Pinouts have failed.
All Leadshine HBS Pro Tuner Software Versions with RS232 COMS have failed.

Proprietary RS232 Cables for Leadshine are commonly available

RS232 should be accesible with ANY RS232 DEVICE & CABLE.

If anyone has succesfully configured RS232 with Leadshine, Please respond with a Pinout.

Thanks!
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 19:34 by garrettmin.

More
07 Apr 2022 19:25 #239571 by spumco
In the other post about he RS232 cables you posted a photo of your setup.

You appear to be using breakout boards with individual wires to connect the motor encoders to the drives.
You also appear to have connected the encoder signal conductors to both the drives AND a Mesa 7i85 in an attempt to close the loop back to Lcnc.

I don't believe this will work.  The encoder signals are likely getting corrupted, garbled, or swallowed by the Mesa and the drive isn't seeing a clean signal.

Suggest the following:

1. Disconnect the drive(s) from all Mesa hardware.  No inputs, no jumpers to the 7i85, no ALM or PEND outputs.  Just DC power to HV inputs, 4 motor power leads, and 6 encoder leads.

2. Use the StepperOnline encoder extension cables that came with the motors.  As I've mentioned in other posts, the conductor colors indicated on the data sheets are for the extension cable un-terminated ends, NOT for the motor encoder cables.  If you cut the D-sub 15-pin connector off the motor encoder lead, the cable colors will not match the motor datasheet.

If you don't have the OEM extension cables you can take the encoder cover off the motor and see if the conductors are visible where they plug in (or are soldered) to the encoder.  At that point you can us a multimeter to figure out which color is which signal since the datasheet also has the pin numbers on the D-sub connector.

3. Power up the drive.  If the Mesa hardware is disconnected and you've got the encoder signals properly connected, the drive should power up without following errors (no blinking red light).

4. Assuming the drive powers up with no error after #1, #2, and #3 above... then purchase the $30 adapter cable for drive tuning.  Doesn't matter if you or anyone else thinks the Leadshine (or clones) RS232 should be compatible with "standard" RS232 but it isn't....   Fact is, it's not compatible and they don't advertise it as a universal or standard connection.  What they do is offer a tuning cable adapter for an (arguably) reasonable price. 

Consider how much that adapter would cost if those were Siemens or Fanuc drives?

More
07 Apr 2022 19:38 - 07 Apr 2022 20:14 #239573 by garrettmin
TB660 Turns the www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/23HE30-5004D-E1000.pdf Motors Succesfully
Without the Closed Loop Motor Encoder Connected to anything.
With only the motors 4x Power Wires A+-B+-
To connect only the 4x Motor Wires A+- B+- to the TB6600 while leaving the Motors 6x Encoder Wires disconnected.

LCNC, MESA & TB6600 Passed Turning the Closed Loop Motor without any Encoder Attached. 
TB6600 turns it nicely and quietly exactly as expected. 
HBS57H makes high pitch whinning noise, runs for 1-2 seconds and Fails Out with RED LED 7x Flashing Position Following Error Protection.

The problem is not LCNC, MESA or Motor Wiring A+-B+-.
The problem must be
HBS57H Firmware Settings, DIP & UnStandardized RS232
HBS57H Encoder Wiring Pinout.

Your suggestion, remove motor Encoder End Cap and Verify Wiring Color Codes is a smart idea I will check that for reason all the Encoder Wiring on the motors to HBS57H is Verified 3x Times Presumed Good.

I can remove the Motor Encoder End Cap, but I cannot verify the Wiring Color Code at the Physical DB15 Connector because it is molded. 
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 20:14 by garrettmin.

More
More
07 Apr 2022 20:04 - 07 Apr 2022 20:16 #239577 by garrettmin
My wires are of course, Non-Standard Color Codes
My wires are shown connected to the correct DB15 Pinouts 1,2,3,11,12,13.
The GND between the Motor Encoder Pinout and the DB15 Adapter shows potential problem. DB15 Adapter has seperate GND Pin.  In my testing, previously unconnected the extra DB15 GND Pin.

www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/23HE30-5004D-E1000.pdf
The Motors Instruction Manual states: 
Motor VCC @ DB15 Pin #2
Motor GND @ DB15 Pin#3

The DB15 Adapter shows: 
DB15 Pin #2
DB15 Pin #3
DB15 GND

If DB15 Adapter has DB15 GND PIN, then Motor GND @ Pin#3 should or should not be connected to DB15 Adapter GND?
File Attachment:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 20:16 by garrettmin.

More
07 Apr 2022 20:24 #239581 by spumco
Good news here.  Since you can read the pin functions directly from the encoder board, the colors do not matter and the DB15 pin numbers don't matter.

If you plug your breakout board in to the DB15 encoder connector, you can now test continuity from the encoder board pin to the breakout board pin.

One at a time... Multimeter probe on encoder board pin, then touch the breakout board pin.  Read the encoder pin label, then connect a wire from the corresponding breakout board pin to the appropriate drive input pin.

I know, this is painful and possibly insulting.  Just advising you the only way I've found to nail down electrical stuff - slow, deliberate, taking nothing at all for granted.

More
07 Apr 2022 21:48 - 07 Apr 2022 21:51 #239596 by garrettmin
Yes You were Correct!

The Stepper Motor Encoder Cable to DB15 actually had the wrong Pinout!!!

The only way to start the Encoder was to Test the Continuity of Each Motor Encoder DB15 PIN.

StepperOnline, "Wrong Pinout", who would have thought, Nice Motor from Well Established company, Wrong Pinout... Must test DB15 Pinout with Continuity....

"Slow, Deliberate, Take nothing for Granted"... 
I am finding the Pinout Problem is best solved firstly by LED TESTING & adding your CONTINUITY TEST .... 
Usually, the problem is right in front of me, I just don't know what I am looking for...
Last edit: 07 Apr 2022 21:51 by garrettmin.

More
07 Apr 2022 23:23 #239612 by spumco

Yes You were Correct!

The Stepper Motor Encoder Cable to DB15 actually had the wrong Pinout!!!

The only way to start the Encoder was to Test the Continuity of Each Motor Encoder DB15 PIN.

StepperOnline, "Wrong Pinout", who would have thought, Nice Motor from Well Established company, Wrong Pinout... Must test DB15 Pinout with Continuity....

"Slow, Deliberate, Take nothing for Granted"... 
I am finding the Pinout Problem is best solved firstly by LED TESTING & adding your CONTINUITY TEST .... 
Usually, the problem is right in front of me, I just don't know what I am looking for...

StepperOnline sells decent stuff, but they aren't the manufacturer of their products.  They don't control much in the design, other than slapping their name on the documentation and products.  They buy 3 or 4 tiers of Chinese products and resell them accordingly.  I believe their top tier are re-badged eadshine, and the next tier down (the "Y" series") are another brand I've never heard of but are still decent.

My attempts to get a drive tuning paramater explanation was not very successful - they don't really have anyone technical on staff (or in the customer service chain at least).

The deal with their encoder pinout being 'wrong'... is that if you connect up the cables they ship with the drive/motor kit, the exposed wire colors on the extension cables match the data sheet.  The DB15 pins may not match anything, and the actual encoder colors don't match anything, but if you play really dumb and just plug this in to that, and plug the wires in to the drive like a good little boy according to the sheet, it all works out.

It only goes wrong when you try to replace the stupid DB15 connectors with proper waterproof aviation plugs (or breakouts in your case) with proper encoder shielding that's actually tied to something (i.e. drive chassis).

As you can guess, I too almost let the smoke out of a StepperOnline encoder.

So... now that it's working, here are some suggestions:
  • Don't connect the encoder directly to both the drive and the Mesa 7i85.
    • Instead, buy some of the Mesa quadrature signal splitters (ENC-Y on their site) and use them to split the signal.
    • I'm doing this with my spindle encoder (signal to my Mesa and to my VFD for tighter speed control) and it works great.  No problems with a 2048-line encoder at 8kRPM.
  • Now that you're well-versed in checking encoder continuity, cut the DB15 connectors off the encoder cables and replace them with waterproof shielded connectors.
    • Connect the encoder shield to the connector body.
    • Use a shielded cable for the new extension cable and tie that shield to the other half of the connector.
    • Finally, ground the extension cable shield on the closest chassis point to the drive once it's mounted.  You won't have EMI issues if you shield and ground the encoder cables properly.
  • Finally - buy the tuning adapter.  The drives likely come pre-programmed with insanely high following error tolerance.  Like a 90 degree shaft rotation before they error out.  Not good for precision, and if you're planning to run dual-loop feedback you'll need the ability to tweak the drive parameters so you don't wind up with LCNC fighting with the drives over the position.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds