Expanding 7i97 Smart Serial Ports using SP491 chip

More
08 May 2022 23:05 #242332 by ContinenteCNC

I welcome any suggestion
Why is the 7i74 not under consideration? 

It would take too long for it to arrive here. I'm a couple of kilometers from São Paulo International Airport, but even so it would take more than two week for it to arrive, and we have until the end of next week to leave the machine working. Schedule is tight and pressure is building up. There is not much IOs connected to the second 7i84. Most of them fit in the fisrt one. So if it doesn't work I will improvise a modbus IO card with a Arduino Nano + mb2hal. So I can put the machine operational until Mesa order arrives with a brand new 7i84 and a cable.

It is a crazy old BLM 3D pipe bender. Several hidraulics. Thats why so many IOs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2022 23:52 #242336 by andypugh

There is not much IOs connected to the second 7i84. Most of them fit in the fisrt one. 

You can use the pins on the expansion connector as GPIO (some buffering / protection would be pretty much mandatory)
Maybe consider connecting a generic parallel port breakout board. 
A parallel breakout will fix the GPIO directions, though the pins on the expansion port can be configure to be outputs or inputs. 

More
09 May 2022 09:52 #242367 by ContinenteCNC
Wow... I didn't realize it was possible! The parallel port bob is a great idea for buffer!

To do so I would just need to flash the proper firmware? I will check the vhd files pin mapping.

But I am confident the sp491 chip idea will work now. I'll be testing it in a couple of minutes when I get to the machine.

Let me ask you something.. what about the sserial port modes? I read that they set different functions to pins on 7i84 depending on the mode you load. Where do I find what each mode does? I am currently loading them on mode 0.

More
09 May 2022 10:19 #242368 by andypugh

To do so I would just need to flash the proper firmware?

Not even that, any unused functions (like stepgens etc) that are masked out by num_stepgens=4 (etc) in the HAL file become GPIO pins.

Let me ask you something.. what about the sserial port modes? I read that they set different functions to pins on 7i84 depending on the mode you load. Where do I find what each mode does? I am currently loading them on mode 0.

In the manual:
www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/7i84man.pdf
Page 14.

MODE 0 I/O only mode (32 bits of input data, 16 bit of output data)
MODE 1 I/O plus analog input and field voltage mode (32 bits of input data, 16 bits of
output data, 4 analog input channels (on inputs 0..3) and field voltage analog
in)
MODE 2 I/O plus analog input (32 bits of input data, 16 bits of output data, 4 analog
input channels (on inputs 0..3), and 2 MPG encoders on inputs 16..19).
Default encoder count mode is 1X to match normal 100 PPR MPGs.
Encoder input threshold is fixed at 2.5V for compatibility with 5V encoder
outputs.

More
10 May 2022 15:55 #242500 by ContinenteCNC
It worked!!!!

I couldn't believe when I saw it work.

Thanks Andy and Peter!!! You're the best.

The final piece of the puzzle was the db25 to P1 pin mapping.

The last circuit I posted is exactly the one working right now.

I hope this topic helps someone else in future. It was a mesa 101 course for me.

Now I'm confident to use mesa cards in other projects from now on.

​​Thank you again!

Bruno
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds