Can someone validate my conceptual wiring of MESA daughtercards ?

More
06 May 2022 12:04 - 06 May 2022 12:07 #242126 by benguru
Hi, I am very new to Linux CNC, coming from Mach3 (for a hobby) and Fanuc professionally, and I would love to get some validation on my purchase decision that will be coming very soon.I want to make all the electricals and control work before starting the mechanicals of my future hobby machine.My system will be comprised of three boxes:
  1. The PC control box, housing the PC and a 6i25 in PCIe with the dual DB25 port add-on
  2. The CNC box, housing the 7i85s and 7i78. The 7i85s will be dedicated to the motion control of the 4 step/dir steper motor and quadrature feedback encoders. The 7i78 will control the spindle and all remaining IOs (limit switches, indicator, HMI switches)
  3. The MPG box, connected to the 7i85s via the RS422 connection.Attached is a diagram of my vision for the electricals of the machine.
Question 1
Can someone tell me if there is a caveat that a newbie could have misunderstood and/or if the BIT and PIN file for the 6i25 with such an setup exists ?

Question 2
I think that I understood correctly that a specific file has to be flashed to the MESA anything I/O card for each individual daughter card configuration, correct ? How would I go about producing the right PIN and BIT file ? This is done by playing around with .vhd files, but how and which ones ?

Question 3
Does the diagram attached seems reasonnable ?

Thanks a lot in advance, I am looking forward to understand in more details how this cards interract, and how to create the proper configuration for them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2022 12:07 by benguru. Reason: Formating was not correct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2022 12:43 - 06 May 2022 12:45 #242132 by andypugh
You seem a little short of inputs for things like limit switches etc. You might want to consider a 7i84 connected to one of your two smart-serial ports (possibly replacing the 7i73, depending on how inconvenient that would make the wiring)

The 7i78 seems a little under-used, though the spare step/dir outputs can be used as general purpose IO (but only at 5V)

If you switch the 7i85S to a 7i52S then the spindle encoder could be wired to that, and you could maybe drive the spindle with USB-modbus. (that's not realtime, but is fine for milling / routing,just not quite perfect for a lathe with CSS) (7i52 is 50-pin not DB25)

Maybe also look at the 7i95 to replace the 6i25, 7i85S and (partially) 7i78/ That has two serial ports, for 7i73 and (possibly) 7i84.

But, basically, ignore most of what I have said. What you have planned will work and is well supported. Also all the parts are (currently) in stock at Mesa, which is a major point in their favour.
Last edit: 06 May 2022 12:45 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: benguru

More
06 May 2022 13:23 #242136 by benguru
Ok great !

I am not worried by having to deal with 5V inputs for the I/O it will anyway come later.

I first want to get familiar with linuxCNC with all the comonents on the table.

For the firmware flashing how will this work ?
I understood that HOSTMOT2 was sefl-configuring but needed a special firmware when using daughtercards that had built-in additionnal functions, sucha as RS422, ADC or encoders "reader" IC.

So in the configs folder for the 6i25/5i25 which share the same config, correct ?, if found the 5i25_7i85s_7i78.bit/.pin/.xml files.
Will it support magically the 7i73 plugged int the 7i85s ? or should I recompile something to get it supported ?

It is getting less and less foggy, but I still don't grasp the whole of it !
Many thanks !
Attachments:

More
06 May 2022 13:51 #242141 by andypugh

So in the configs folder for the 6i25/5i25 which share the same config, correct ?, if found the 5i25_7i85s_7i78.bit/.pin/.xml files.
Will it support magically the 7i73 plugged int the 7i85s ? 

Yes. The "Smart" serial boards tell LinuxCNC what they are and what functions they have and the HAL pins are generated automatically. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: benguru

More
07 May 2022 11:58 #242230 by benguru
Andy you are a legend !

I will go this route then. Many thanks for your kind advice, I will now see if I can get the boards delivered to Switzerland.

More
07 May 2022 12:23 #242231 by benguru
Order was placed from EUsurplus !! I am so looking forward to go away from this Mach3 ! I try to run my current CNC with this new electrical setup, then I think I will be on track to develop a new mechanical assembly for a brand new machine.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds