Utilizing IDC40 possible?

More
13 Aug 2022 12:29 #249646 by p1geon
Everyone is talking about expensive Mesa cards, but cant i just use the IDC40 directly from the Motherboard?
Im basically broke and wanna go with the cheapest yet most performant approach.I currently have a Asus P8H67 Motherboardwich has PCIe and PCI ports, but i feel like the IDC40 has least latency, because ur not going trough the "abstraction layer" of a Mesa card (+they're expensive and hard to get). Ive also seen that a lot of people use cheap 10€ cards, but that feels gambling because they might be too slow and not have enough output (theres a reason why mesa is expensive right?)
I was looking for a IDC40 to Dsub25 cable, but everything i found looked really sketchy and 99% of the results were pcie expansion cards, not cables. Does the IDC26 and IDC40 have different protocols or can i literally shove a IDC26-dsub25 cable in a IDC40 port?

Im young and still learning, pls be patient

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2022 14:35 #249652 by arvidb
Replied by arvidb on topic Utilizing IDC40 possible?
So you want to use the hard drive controller (IDE/PATA interface) to run a CNC machine? Now that would be a cool feat. I say go for it! :D

(No, you can not use the HDD interface, even if the IDC26 connector would fit, which it does not.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, p1geon

More
13 Aug 2022 16:35 #249658 by tommylight
It does have DMA though, so it fast! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
13 Aug 2022 17:00 #249661 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Utilizing IDC40 possible?
The problem is that these IDC40 (PATA) interfaces are for hard disk drives, and expect something that talks that protocol. They are a fairly direct connection to the CPU, and are capable of pretty fast data transfers. But, anything you attach to that connector will need at least an FPGA to emulate the PATA-IDE protocol. It would be a VERY interesting project, but then you would also be totally on your own developing a real time driver for LinuxCNC that used it.
If you think you could just connect some of the IDC connector pins to a stepper drive, that surely won't work. The parallel IDC interface is a 16-bit parallel data port, but it is OWNED by the disk drivers in Linux, and I have major doubts you can just use one port for something else.
Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, p1geon

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds