Advice on replacing the Ethernet Smooth Stepper

More
28 Sep 2022 04:43 - 28 Sep 2022 04:43 #252910 by subnoize
Hello!

I have several CNC. 3 of them are parallel port based LinuxCNC and one is Mach4 based. I will need to upgrade all of the LinuxCNC based machines soon. They are well past their prime.

The one Mach4 machine has got to go. I am so done with it. The control box has a Ethernet Smooth Stepper. I did not build it, I purchased it as a turn key system. I had never purchased a CNC machine pre built and I just wanted a machine working out of the box. Well, 3 years on and I am done with Mach4.

Has anyone else here changed from using the ESS to something like a Mesa board? My machine is 5 axis and was built by AvidCNC. I am happy with everything else in the box. If LinuxCNC had a ESS plugin I would just switch over, but it doesn't. ESS is only Mach4.

Any advice on the gotchas and pitfalls would be great to hear.

I am hoping what I learn with this machine will help me with upgrading my other CNC. So this isn't just me hating on Mach4. This is me wanting every machine on the same level with the same features and the same customizations.

Thanks for the help !
Last edit: 28 Sep 2022 04:43 by subnoize.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2022 09:37 #252922 by tommylight
What other electronics does it use?
If normal stepper drives, then should be pretty easy to switch over, granted you can find a Mesa 7i76 with a 5i25 or 6i25 or 7i92, or a single 7i76E.
You can find Mesa 7i96 that has less I/O and i am not sure about the spindle as i used the 7i96 on a plasma, but it can be expanded a lot later. It does have high speed spindle encoder inputs for sure as i used those.
See if you can figure out how many inputs and outputs you need, check the drives if they are step/dir ones, or upload some pictures of the control box here.

More
29 Sep 2022 13:32 #253030 by subnoize
The OEM for the machine called me. I would have to change out the plasma THC and the size of the replacement solution would be actually larger and would require moving components around in a very crowded box.

As much as I dislike Mach4 for its closed source and difficult customer service, I am stuck until something major fails. Then I will just use Teknic ClearPath motors and dump 90% of what is in that box. I will figure out the THC when that happens.

Thanks for the response.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds