7i96S

More
19 Oct 2022 20:54 #254558 by reynolds087
7i96S was created by reynolds087
Hi,
I am brand new to LinuxCNC, currently using FluidNC and looking to switch. I recently bought an EliteDesk 800 G1, and a Mesa 7i96S. I am a little concerned because I have seen some various forums where people say that you need a special (preempt-rt) Kernel to use an Ethernet controller like the 7i96S. Are there any beginners guides that provide a step by step tutorial on doing a fresh install of LinuxCNC with a Mesa 7i96S? Did I make a mistake going with this hardware and is it going to be very complicated to install a compatible version of LinuxCNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2022 21:33 - 19 Oct 2022 21:34 #254559 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic 7i96S
Easiest way is to download the "LinuxCNC 2.8.4 Debian 10 Buster PREEMPT-RT ISO" from this page: linuxcnc.org/downloads/

This does include everything you need for a full install of Debian and linuxcnc. You can then choose to either install on your hard drive or test directly from a USB memory stick.

More info is available here: linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-st...etting-linuxcnc.html

I believe that this is much easier than it looks to get started. Although there's indeed a learning curve the support here is just plain fantastic and you can always ask if you get stuck anywhere during the process.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2022 21:34 by JPL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reynolds087

More
19 Oct 2022 21:46 #254560 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic 7i96S

... Did I make a mistake going with this hardware and is it going to be very complicated to install a compatible version of LinuxCNC?

The 7196S is a great choice and many here are using this too. I'm sure you will find plenty of help in this forum when need arise. Also, linuxcnc would run perfectly fine with older (and much cheaper) EliteDesk. I'm running with a 8300 (Ultra slim) and it is plenty enough for LinuxCnc. (Dirt cheap on e-bay too) 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, reynolds087, Masiwood123

More
19 Oct 2022 22:01 #254561 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7i96S
I agree with JPL on everything and i might add Mesa has the best support on planet earth!
I should mention that more often as from a looooong experience with everything PC/machine/electronics the other companies should send their public relations people to Mesa for training.
As for hardware, i have the latest Linux Mint 21 running on an old dual core Celeron with 4GB of ram! Id does run with 2GB only. Just added and SSD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reynolds087, Masiwood123

More
20 Oct 2022 00:46 #254577 by reynolds087
Replied by reynolds087 on topic 7i96S
Thanks for all of the quick responses, everyone! That is great to hear. My PC should be arriving in the next few days, and I'm looking forward to getting started with LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds