raspberry pi 7C80 with ice tower cooling fan, how to connect

More
31 Oct 2022 17:37 #255590 by GDTH
 Hello,

Over the last few months i have been working on retrofitting an emco lathe and a ISEL mill.
The software for the mesa cards are great but the raspberry does get some what warm to at least 60 degrees after some time.
So i got an ICE tower cooling fan which looks good. 

The problem that i faced at that time was the ribbon cable no longer fits on the pinout because the bracket of the ICE tower.
I'm not sure but i can also recall something along the lines that the ribbon also wouldn’t fit between the mounting holes (currently i am not able find a ribbon connector to double check).

So my solution to the problem was desolder the pinout and put headers on the bottom.
This was a great solution cause you have a straight connection.
But it has many flaws:
-it is messy to remove the headers
-if you need to replace the pi you would need to redo all of this.
-i was not able to find long female headers i had to settle on having multiple headers in each other to reach a decent height.
This is important if you don’t want to sacrifice some of the IO of the 7c80 because the mini HDMI is quite low.

So today i somehow destroyed my raspberry pi. i accidentally shorted the 24V PSU in the electrical cabinet. which caused the 24v constantly shut down. i think this is the cause but i find it hard to image that the 5V shutting down would cause the pi get broken (wont boot and the PMIC gets warm, still want to try boot from USB)

I am slowly accepting that i just needs use a new Pi.
And i was questioning how i should do it now

The question i have is:
What have you guys done or would do for 7c80 to work with the ribbon cable and cooling?
any tips and ideas are very welcome Also during my searches:
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3889...-4-with-mesa-7c81had to use thread rod with some nuts to do the pacing
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2022 18:32 #255593 by PCW
I would probably just use a smaller stick-on heat sink

More
18 Dec 2022 08:09 #259804 by DSS
 Hopefully this info is still useful to you or others who may find it in the future. I also have a ICE tower cooling fan ( horizontal model as seen " here " ) on my Pi4 / 7C80 combo. What you need to connect the IDC ribbon cable header to your raspberry pi when using brass standoffs is a socket riser. This is different from a normal female header in a few ways. Primarily the pins are square not flat giving a good fit with the ribbon cable connector, the pins are also longer 6.5mm compared to the 2-3mm of a normal header. You can find them on amazon; " here " is the one I used.

M2.5 bolts need to be used to secure the pi to the 7c80 on the header side of the board. When using a ribbon cable and IDC connector on a raspberry pi the mounting locations are partially obscured preventing the use of normal standoffs. I can post my hardware mounting stack up if it would be useful.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds