7i96S Bitfile Request (DPL Base)

More
05 Nov 2022 07:54 #255989 by goglie
Hi there,

First of all, sorry for my bad English.

Recently I built a Plasma CNC machine using a Mesa 7i96S board. I would like to generate a new BIT file for the FPGA but I don't feel like buying the Efinix SDK just to modify 4 lines. I am currently using a 7i96S with DPL firmware. I would like to pass the first 6 GPIOs of the P1 expansion port as outputs (IO 34,35,36,37,38,39). Because for the moment, when the PC is not connected to the card, these GPIOs revert to the "PULL UP" input state and the outputs become active because they are supplied with 5VDC.

I want to modify the firmware for these reasons but if there are other solutions I am interested.

Thank you in advance for your feedback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2022 10:44 #256002 by tommylight
I am afraid to answer as i do not have a 7i96S, i have a 7i96, and they have some diferences like 7i96S has a 0-10V spindle output that i was not aware of!
Still, untill later when PCW has a chance to look at this, if the GPIO are the same, use a ULN23008 (not sure about the number, on the phone, it is a 8 darlington IC) to invert the GPIO's. That will be good for 8 outputs.

More
05 Nov 2022 14:51 #256013 by PCW
On a 7I96S,the P1 I/O pins will always be pulled high before
LinuxCNC starts, Its not something that can be changed in firmware.

More
06 Nov 2022 08:06 #256045 by goglie
Damn,

I thought I could solve the problem easily by forcing the GPIOs as outputs in the firmware, but if that's not possible...

PCW, can you tell me why FPGA states can't be fixed by firmware? I tried to figure it out with the FPGA manual (programming legs, etc.)
But I don't understand why?

Thanks for your feedback.

More
06 Nov 2022 14:49 #256073 by PCW
You could make the pins be outputs but they would still be pulled
up during configuration.

More
06 Nov 2022 16:16 #256079 by goglie
I will relay and control an output of the card to activate the 24v once the connection is established. Without power, the outputs will not work.

Thank you for your feedback

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds