7I76E Ethernet Cannot Ping

More
04 Dec 2022 23:10 #258536 by joshwuh
Hello,

Frustratingly, it seems if I go too long without using the CNC gremlins move in. I powered on my Mesa 7I76E today and it will not communicate via Ethernet. LinuxCNC fails to launch with the debug information indicating that it cannot communicate (could not retrieve hardware address (MAC) of 10.10.10.10...)

Some bullet points:
- I have tried using the EEPROM configuration as I always do with W2 DOWN/W3 UP for 10.10.10.10
- When that didn't work I switched over to W2 DOWN/W3 DOWN for the default 192.168.1.121. Also no ping responses.
- Tried switching Ethernet cables and repeating above - no change.
- Tried using a raspberry pi to ping both IP addresses - no change.
- Tried using a laptop to ping both IP addresses - no change.
- In every test case the green ethernet port light is on with varying frequencies. Linux pings seem to make it flash green around 1 Hz, while Windows pings are a bit faster.

*Note: in each test I ensured the ethernet settings were correct - linux using "sudo ifconfig" and "ip link show", and Windows using "ipconfig"

The board turns on and goes through a brief light show (seemingly to indicate a startup routine) and then the lights go off leaving only CR13 (PWR) illuminated orange and CR8 illuminated orange.

What else could I try? I did not attempt the BOOTP option as I am not sure how to do so. Where do I go from here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2022 01:13 #258549 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7I76E Ethernet Cannot Ping
Do you get the amber link/speed LED on the RJ45 connector?

In general it sounds like the Ethernet interface has failed somehow
either from electrical damage (ESD/Lighning/EMI etc) or a failed
component/soldering etc

Probably the best bet is to return it for evaluation/repair/replacement
by requesting a RMA # from Mesa and returning the card

More
05 Dec 2022 02:01 #258554 by joshwuh
Replied by joshwuh on topic 7I76E Ethernet Cannot Ping
No - never an amber light.

Is is possible for these electronics to get damaged through ground/neutral from lightning? I keep all hot wires physically disconnected via switches when the machine is not in use, but it has occurred to me that all of the electronics remain connected to neutral/ground at all times. I've never had anything else in my home get damaged from lightning, but that would be the only thing I can imagine happening to this board in between usages.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds