7i96 issue read/write

More
05 Mar 2023 18:12 #265931 by evengravy
Replied by evengravy on topic 7i96 issue read/write
Right. No problem. I get you. Ill take a look to order a new NIC. I did confirm it is configured for 10.10.10.10 by the way. Ill report back any progress here. Thanks for help, j

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2023 18:31 #265933 by evengravy
I've ordered an intel pro 1000 GT pci NIC. Hopefully this does the trick. Whilst I'm at it, ill look to replacing the ethernet cabling just to be sure. Ill post back for ref next week. Ty

More
07 Mar 2023 16:07 #266031 by evengravy
Along with the NIC I have ordered a new SSD to build a new 2.9 system on Debian 11+ (keeping this install in place for now). I read on www.gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/debian-11-emc.html that the 5.10-18 realtime kernel is most reliable. I expect there is a way I can restrict synapsis to installing just that version?

I also have been reading around the subject quite a bit, seems that the Realtek NIC's are most problematic (hopefully resolved with the Intel) but Intel NIC's require some tweaking.

Some references which seem to point to mismanagement of NIC drivers in certain kernels:

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-realtek-nic?start=0

www.forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/...error-finishing-read

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/927

More soon. J

More
07 Mar 2023 16:11 #266032 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96 issue read/write
I would suggest a 6 series kernel (latest is 6.2-rt3)
The following user(s) said Thank You: evengravy

More
07 Mar 2023 16:15 - 07 Mar 2023 16:18 #266033 by evengravy
Right, so that would be just a case of going for the buildbot master branch, then, would it?

Edit: Seems to be covered here, so will try that: 
Installing Linuxcnc and Debian Bookworm on problematic hardware - forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-realtek-nic?start=0
Last edit: 07 Mar 2023 16:18 by evengravy.

More
07 Mar 2023 21:05 #266062 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 7i96 issue read/write
My problematic hardware thread uses the 6.1 kernel. I did read somewhere yesterday that intel had made some contributions that improves network performance. Not sure if it has got to the 6.2 kernel yet...

More
08 Mar 2023 10:18 #266101 by evengravy
Okay, perfect. Thanks for the info. The new NIC should be here shortly so I'll get a look more deeply at this over the weekend. I may just try the new NIC as is to see if we get anywhere as the new SSD I have ordered might be some time out yet.

More
08 Mar 2023 17:39 - 08 Mar 2023 17:40 #266130 by evengravy
Just as a quick update to this. I dropped the Intel NIC in, after disabling the onboard lan controller in the bios it worked out of the gate without any config. I have test code running atm on the router. So far so good. I understand there are some intel specific tweaks that might be necessary, ill dig those out soon and apply/try them here. I intend to update the 2.9 non the less as I am running one of the earlier releases and haven't updated it for some time so will see how that goes. Ill keep this updated as I test this out. Thanks for the help gents. Hopefully at 20 quid this was a cheap fix
Last edit: 08 Mar 2023 17:40 by evengravy.

More
08 Mar 2023 21:48 #266150 by evengravy
One quick question. IIRC I configured the original NIC via GUI. Is it necessary for me to set IRQ coalesce to zero. If so, I think I need to set: sudo ethtool -C eth0 rx-usecs 0 as per tommylights instructions. Is that right?

Does this config persist when setting are made graphically or is it best to resort to editing the etc/network/interfaces file. Tommy does warn not to do both so just want to check. Also I am not clear if this just relates to onboard intel ethernet chips or if its necessary here with a standalone pci card. I can run some pings tomorrow to see how it is. Initial tests are positive.

More
09 Mar 2023 01:34 #266165 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i96 issue read/write
sudo ethtool -C eth0 rx-usecs 0

is temporary (until a reboot)
The interfaces file setting runs that command at boot time

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds