7i84 CR7 blinks twice then stops

More
23 Apr 2023 11:33 #269677 by Wischi
Hello,
yesterday i was setting up a tool length sensor when the machine went into e-stop. Error: hm2/hm2_7i92.0: ***Smart Serial Port 0 will be stopped***.

I had this problem before and restarting the pc usually fixed it, but because it was getting late i decided to stop for now and try again tomorrow. But today the machine would not even start. I get this error at startup (full log included linuxcnc.report.txt):
hm2/hm2_7i92.0: registered
hm2_eth: in hm2_eth_reset
hm2_eth: HostMot2 ethernet driver unloaded
hm2: unloading
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments

Debug file information:
Note: Using POSIX realtime
./Test.hal:315: Pin 'hm2_7i92.0.7i84.0.2.input-10' does not exist
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components
Note: Using POSIX realtime

What i noticed is that the CR7 Led on the 7i84 blinks twice and then goes off. CR6 and CR8 are on. My setup is the following: 7i92->7i77->7i84. The 7i92 and 7i77 sit in the control cabinet  and are connected to the pc via a ethernet cat5 cable. From the 7i77 serial port is another cat5 cable passing through the control cabinet with a ethernet panel mount (same as the 7i92). The pc and the 7i84 sit in the control panel (about 2m of cable). Could this be a noise issue? I am also running a 230V AC Cable from the control cabinet to the panel for the monitor, right beside the cat5 cables. I already tried powering the monitor from a socket near by and disabling the 230V line coming from the machine, but still the same. I have also included the mesaflash --readhmid, but i am not sure what to look for the file. My hal is the following:
loadrt [KINS]KINEMATICS
loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[KINS]JOINTS
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_eth board_ip="10.10.10.10" config=" num_encoders=6 num_pwmgens=0 num_stepgens=0 sserial_port_0=002xx" 
setp    hm2_7i92.0.watchdog.timeout_ns 5000000
loadrt pid names=pid.x,pid.y,pid.z,pid.s

addf hm2_7i92.0.read          servo-thread
addf motion-command-handler   servo-thread
addf motion-controller        servo-thread
addf pid.x.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.y.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.z.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf pid.s.do-pid-calcs       servo-thread
addf hm2_7i92.0.write         servo-thread
setp hm2_7i92.0.dpll.01.timer-us -50

The missing input pin 10 is the machine power on button. But the hal was working before and i already milled a couple parts with it so it should be fine.

I am thankful for any help i can get! These type of problems are just frustrating.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2023 12:29 #269679 by tommylight
Bad cable, wiring or contact.
When wiring make sure you use a pair for TX and a pair for RX. No mixing between pairs.
Might also be from low 5V supply, mainly due to very thin and bad quality CAT cable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wischi

More
23 Apr 2023 14:11 #269687 by PCW
The "serial break error" especially suggests a
bad connection (either power or serial including 7I92-->7I77
and 7I77--> 7I84) or hardware failure.

This error indicates the serial RX lines were in
the wrong state for an entire character time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wischi

More
24 Apr 2023 06:21 #269726 by Wischi
Thanks for your input!

The 7i92 is directly plugged into the 7i77. They are sitting together on a DIN rail. They also both get 5V through TB1. I am gonna check if that is still 5V when everything is powered on. I can adjust the 5V power supply if that is the case.

What cables do you recommend for the ethernet connections? Is CAT7 sufficient?
If i read correctly does the 7i84 get its 5V through the serial cable (from the 7i77)?

More
24 Apr 2023 13:43 #269759 by PCW
Cat5 should be fine for short runs (2 M would be ok)
Cat 6 would be better for longer runs

The error indicates something really marginal like a
broken wire, loose connection or hardware failure.

More
30 Apr 2023 19:00 #270325 by Wischi
Just got back from the machine. I tested the 5V on TB1, on the 7i92 it was 4.9V and on the 7i77 it was 4.8V. I adjusted the power supply so both have a little above 5V. But the error still occurred. Then I switched the panel mounts from the 7i92 and the 7i77 and the pc wouldn't connect to the 7i92! Turns out the ethernet panel mount has a loose contact somewhere inside! For now I used a cable coupler/extender to pass through the cabinet. If i still get these errors i am gonna switch to CAT6 cable. Thanks for your help!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds