Retrofit Mesa Options

More
30 May 2023 09:59 #272489 by Rios
Retrofit Mesa Options was created by Rios
Hello, I'm thinking of retrofitting an old punching machine, the machine only has 2 axis (X,Y) and the punching mechanism is manual but i'm thinking on making it semi auto/auto , my only experience with linuxcnc was on a retrofit using a complete ethercat solution , from servo drives to beckhoff ethercat i/o , so , in this project that solution is not very cost-effective , I'm trying to use most of the machine material , is this case is :
-2 Heidenhain 500pp encoder for feedback
-2 siemens ac motor's controlled by an analog Simodrive

In my research my first option would be a pc with a mesa 5I25 PCI card and a 7I77 card , the 7I77 card is capable of everything that I need for motion/feedback with a extra of i/o , does this option make sensor, or I'm missing something with this setup ? Recommendation or advice will are accepted .

The other question is , if I wanted to remove the PCI 5I25 for an Ethernet solution for "easy" exchange with other pc's , would the Mesa 7I92TH be a okay solution ? On the website, it says that it's compatible with the 7I77 card , but would the 7I92TH be a okay replacement for the 5I25 card ? 
i'm sorry for any wrong/stupid assumption that i  may be making in this post, but my knowledge on this topic is limited and recent , thanks for any feedback .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2023 10:48 #272492 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Retrofit Mesa Options
5i25 is PCI, 6i25 is PCI-E, 7i92 is ETH, they are the same functionaly.
Finding those is quite hard lately, still, see if you can find 7i97 as that is both 7i92 and 7i77 in one place/board, easier wiring.
If you can not find 7i97 or 7i92, you may find 7i96S for a bit more money and with 7i77 you end up with all of the above plus 5 step/dirs and another spindle/encoder. And more IO.

More
30 May 2023 11:13 #272493 by Rios
Replied by Rios on topic Retrofit Mesa Options
Thanks , that is a great advice , i will try to see what i can get my hand on .
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Jun 2023 22:20 #273519 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic Retrofit Mesa Options
from Mesa the 7i92TF and 7i77 are in stock
7i77

7i92TF

More
26 Oct 2023 10:08 #283853 by Rios
Thanks for all the help.

This project was on standby by the client, and now I have the green light, but the old options are out of stock.

My ideia for controlling the 2 analog servo motors and the read 2 encoder are the following:

7I80HDT Ethernet Anything I/O card
7I36 Quad Analog Servo Interface

Would this work for my situation? Any better option in the situation in question? Thanks for all the feedback.

More
26 Oct 2023 13:18 #283865 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Retrofit Mesa Options
7i96S
7i85 or 7i85S
7i83
should be in stock, can do stepgens and analog and seems like the best combo for now.

More
26 Oct 2023 15:34 #283871 by Rios
Thanks for the suggestion , any particular reason for the choises other than the cost ?

And about my choice. it's an OK configuration or is there any problem ?

I will also use the 7iA0 Isolated remote I/O card for I/O control , in both configurations a rs-422 port is available, so I think that's not a problem .

I'm from portugal , so i«m trying to find what is available on the eusurplus store.

Thanks for the feedback

More
28 Oct 2023 10:25 #283948 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Retrofit Mesa Options

Thanks for the suggestion , any particular reason for the choises other than the cost ?

There isn't any real advantage to one solution over the other, though be aware that there are two basic families of Mesa cards, the DB25 ones and the HD50 ones. 

The HD50 cards have been around longer, and are possibly a little more general-purpose in their focus. I get the impression that the DB25 cards are maybe more hobby-CNC biased. 
If you want to use resolvers then you need to use the HD50 cards as the 7i49 is HD50 only. The 5i24 is probably the best bang-for-the-buck as far as pin count goes, if you are building a PCI based system, 

Both families of cards support the smart-serial interface cards so there is no reason to prefer one over the other there. You can run more RS422 devices from a 7i44 than from a 7i74, but that's unlikely to affect many users. (both support 8 x smart serial cards) 

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds