Mesa Board for 5 axis + ATC Carousel

More
02 Jun 2023 15:47 #272742 by vitalibr
Hello,

I am building a big cnc machine (it's almost done) and could need some help with the selection of mesa cards. I'm reading several topics on the forum, but I'm still having a lot of doubts about which mesa board is ideal for my project. Sorry for the limited knowledge.

As an overview about my project:
- 5 axis VMC (3axis + 2axis optional)
- main spindle is belt driven by servo and has separate spindle encoder
- ATC unit, the carousel is a servo rotary axis with pneumatic rotary / pneumatic extension axis.

All axes will have servo motors controlled via step/dir, not sure if it is necessary to use linear scale for feedback (I'm still undecided about it)

I would like an ethernet mesa board for my project. Could someone help me with which options would be ideal for this machine? I saw that several boards are out of stock on the mesa's official website

Regards,
Vitali M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2023 16:01 #272744 by spumco
How are the various servo drives commanded?  Step/dir, analog, PWM?  Mesa board selection will be determined by this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitalibr

More
02 Jun 2023 16:09 #272746 by tommylight
What does ATC use for signaling?
7i96S can be found often, so start there. 5 step/dir and spindle with encoder. You cam get many more step/dir and IO from the IDC heareds, i think it has two, at least 7i96 had two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitalibr

More
02 Jun 2023 16:35 #272750 by vitalibr
sorry,

I forgot to mention, step/dir

More
02 Jun 2023 16:39 #272752 by vitalibr
the servo on the ATC will be controled by step/dir 

I was really looking at the 7i96S, but I was in doubt about how to have more step/dir, because in my case, I need 6 in total (5 axes + 1 for the ATC/magazine).

according to the 7I96S manual:
"The 7I96S has a 26 pin header to allow I/O expansion beyond the built in I/O on the 7I96S card."
www.mesanet.com/pdf/parallel/7i96man.pdf

More
02 Jun 2023 18:09 #272755 by PCW
To add more step/dir axis you would add a daughtercard on the parallel expansion port
say a 7I85S that adds 4 more step/dir channels or a inexpensive BOB like the common
"5 Axis Mach 3" BOB

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds