Mesa 5i24/6i24 GPIO hardware interface question

More
23 Jun 2023 01:40 #274107 by tropostudio
I am in the midst of connecting the original IO from my Howa VMC to a pair of Mesa 6i24-25 PCIe boards.  Board 0, for input only, is flashed with 5i24_25_justio.bit firmware.  48 IO points are being used (Ports P1 and P3). Machine inputs are connected through my own optoisolation board. Schematic of one IO point attached. 24vdc on the machine side and 5VDC on the card side.  The 5vdc for the card side of my board comes from respective ports/pins on the 6i24.  Mesa pullups ae disabled as they are included on my opto board (schematic attached).  Input works fine from machine controls, through test LED's on  my card, and on the test screen in Axis.

Where I am stuck is on the outputs from the second Mesa 6i24. Board 1 is also flashed with 5i24_25_justio.bit.   48 IO points are being used (Ports P1 and P3). Machine output are also connected to the 6i24 through a custom optoisolation board.  In this case . I have the Mesa card configured for 3.3 volts, thinking their IO pins would drive the opto input side of my board by sourcing 15-18 milliamps for the opto input + test led. A schematic for one pin is attached. I may have messed up thinking the 6i24 could source the current.

The Axis test screen and Hal Config show the test buttons signaling the hm2 gpio correctly, but nothing happens at the opto board. When I tested the board, 3.3vdc at each 'input' side of the optos allows 24 vdc through to the corresponding outputs (relays, panel lights, etc).

Any idea where I am going wrong?  Is it a hardware issue? Am I missing something in configuring the Mesa boards?  A LinuxCNC programming mistake?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2023 02:08 #274108 by PCW
Are the "is_output" parameters set true for all the output bits?

More
23 Jun 2023 03:30 #274112 by tropostudio
Ahh! Thank you. I'm new to LinuxCNC and FPGA's. This looks like that stuff that can all be changed in Hal, right? Hopefully nothing to do with incorrect firmware, and if I'm lucky, not much to do with my opto boards!

Can I ask something a bit off topic? How do you get mesaflash to return info on or make changes to two boards? 'mesaflash --help' in a terminal explains it fine for one device, provided the second one is unplugged. Pncconf and MesaNet aren't of much help for my configuration. Thanks!

More
23 Jun 2023 04:01 #274113 by PCW
Yes, you would just have a bunch of:

setp hm2_5i24.N.gpio.mmm.is_output true

statements in the hal file

Mesaflash currently can only access 1 PCI card.

More
23 Jun 2023 18:06 #274157 by tropostudio
PCW -

Thanks again! Got to the shop this morning, made changes to my IO Hal file and the outputs work perfectly. Digging into the LinuxCNC docs more and see it's all well described under drivers section for Mesa. Much appreciated.

Now I'd just like to see Mesa be able to get the 6i24-25 cards back into stock :)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds